1x15 sealed back cab build maple / sapele

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mirage_indigo

1x15 sealed back cab build maple / sapele

Post by mirage_indigo »

I just realized I hadn't posted this here.

I've had this 10' long 16" wide sapele board sitting in my shop (actually multiple shops) for the last 10 years. I finally decided to build a home for the 15" weber 15N I've had nearly as long. I found a really good deal on figure maple for about $6 a bd/ft and it was time. I've had it sitting next to the bench off and on for a while as I've had to make clamp racks, etc.

I decided to hand dovetail everything since I was way out of practice, having cut the last round also about ten years ago (noticing a pattern?). Also why else do I own all these chisels? You can see one of the better dovetails in progress pre filling and leveling in the first pic, the finished joint looks a lot better. I handplaned and scraped it all smooth, but _still_ found a bunch of tearout on the sapele and the maple, so hit the 600 up to 1500
IMG_20200605_183249 (1).jpg
. That's the back, the front loosk aboutthe same but has a 14" hole offcenter.

Finish is one coat of tried and Tru varnish oil which I'm lazy and put on basically everything followed by a bunch of coats of peacock oil from Skelton Saws which afaict is some kind of blo/beesaw blend.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UtV6xmquRsJRu5iq7
We build because we must.
xtian

Re: 1x15 sealed back cab build maple / sapele

Post by xtian »

Nice work. And nice shop, too!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

Got the speaker partially mounted using 6-32 threaded inserts in the back of the baffle. Starting to look real.
IMG_20200616_121110.jpg
IMG_20200616_121719.jpg
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

The upholstery cloth makes it louder. Fun fact, putting the baffle in the cabinet with a tight seal and no port makes it really really hard to get the baffle back out again.
IMG_20200616_152932.jpg
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

That is a great looking cab! I've got some Sapele I plan to make a small chest of drawers from - great wood. My hat is off to you for the hand cut dovetails!

Russ
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Great looking cab! I'm wondering if you'd care to comment about the dovetails, which BTW, are very nicely executed. My question is about the aesthetics. How did you decide weather the pins or the tails are facing up? And how did you decide how to space the pins and tails?
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

I am no Paul Sellers. But as Chris Schwarz says "even a gappy dovetail is a really strong joint". Two joints in I wised up and did the blue tape layout trick, that helped a lot. For strength, you almost always want the tails on the sides and the pins up. The reason is if the glue fails, the mechanics of the joint still. only allow the side to pul lout sideways not up/down. Since almost all of the force on any kind of casework is up/.down, that's what you go with. SO in the phot below, the top is actually vertical with the side sticking out the back.

For spacing I eyeball it. When I have less massive pieces of wood, I always cut the tails together two sides at a time, then cut the pins to match. Since you're cutting the pins of off the tails, the layout is surprisingly forgiving as long as the tail cut is square and doesn't go below the scribe line.

The trick with large casework dovetails is that it's slow to cut em by hand. The main thing is to make sure your saw is actually sharp and cutting straight. About halfway through this set, I also rigged up a bandsaw sloped ramp rig I can use but this case was too wide to fit all the way so I ended up with about 3/4 hand, 1/4 bandsaw on the cuts. I also own one of the fancy Leigh dovetail jigs, but honestly I hate routers, so I use a lot of hand tools. I wouldn't recommend doing the joint without a good bench, saw and at least one good chisel.

I did the sawdust/ glue trick for gap filling, but i think the sawdust / shellac trick will be in my future. I have enough board left over for a matching BFPR head cab assuming I can get the reverb tank in there compactly enough.

The dovetails can look pretty rough when they come straight off the saw. The main failure is actually the board cupping across the width such that the middle of the joint is loose and the sides are tight. Mostly just practice. There's about a million and three "how to DT" videos on you tube, Rob Cosman is good, but he seems to think it's a lot easier than it is. One other huge danger is cutting the joint backwards or inside out. I now use a hammered stamp to mark my joints on the inner corners A-B-C-D, etc. I found I was sanding off the pencil marks too much.
IMG_20200522_140450 (1).jpg
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

I like Paul Sellers. I have found, if you watch enough of his videos you learn some basic but important lessons. Among them:
-Learn to sharpen your tools properly and keep them sharp. He's not fanatical about honing to 10,000 grit and says that's not important and neither are micro bevels that so many people swear by. When he works, you can see this is true. BTW, I don't believe I'll every be able to sharpen a chisel or plane freehand, but I did make a very simple jig that works much better than anything you can buy and it was dirt cheap to make.
-Think through what you are going to do. Make a plan, work your plan. He never comes out and says this, but, do you notice how prepared he is?
-He has hand-eye coordination that can't be beat. This is only acquired by years of practice. Use layout tools and work carefully if you don't have 50+ years of practice.
-He says regularly, this is how I like to do it. There are other ways and if they work for you that's just fine.
-He always has encouraging words. He makes a true effort to express the positive. He has a great attitude. He telegraphs its importance without saying it.
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

I actually subscribe to Paul's site, I'm a bit of a handtool junkie, I'm actually working backwards trying to use more power tools safely when I can. Sharpening is hard, I have all of the stuff and I keep coming back to the shaptons. I'm really trying to psych myself up to my first build, probably a neckthrough fretless bass. Amps are more in my wheelhouse since I have an EE degree and got into woodworking by building amp cabinets. My wife would tell you I'm more of a tool collector than a user.

Here's the shop view from directly behind the cabinet. What you can't see is the Hammer K3 just behind the shot.
IMG_20200511_161759 (2).jpg
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Yes, nice shop and good collection of tools you have! I see you have at least 3 frame saws! I have been toying with making a Roubo style frame saw for resaw work (blade in the middle, rotated 90 degrees) with the idea that I can get by without a band saw. I'm on a budget and I don't have inside workspace. My outdoor workbench racks too much. I am looking to build a Moravian portable workbench so I can bring it inside to keep it out of the weather. If you haven't seen one, look on Youtube. I am just starting down the path of woodworking. This is going to be my retirement job. We are looking to move. I am hoping to find a new place with a dedicated indoor workspace for me.

The K3 is a real nice saw. I've got a friend who has a sliding table. He moved away and took with ;-/. Pricey, though. When I get that dedicated space, I am going find a used radial arm saw. These can be bought dirt cheap and the people who have them swear they are safer and better than a table saw. From what I see on YT, I tend to agree. It is not so different from the sliding table saw. Instead, the saw head slides and the work piece stays put.

It must be nice to have the Shaptons. I sharpen with sandpaper working up to 8000. Paper costs almost nothing and is very effective. The thing I find about sharpening is that I need an accurate jig and plenty of time. This jig is beyond simple. Use a large dowel (old snow shovel handle), a piece of hardwood, and a couple bolts with wing nuts. Run the dowel through your table saw to flatten one side for the tool to rest on -optional, but simplifies finding center and drilling. Find center and drill for bolts. Drill press required! Countersink heads. Use a good (Engineer's) square to align your blade square to the jig.
Sharpening jig
Sharpening jig
mirage_indigo

Post by mirage_indigo »

Funnily I'm about two thirds of the way through a mini-moravian for my kids. I built it a skosh too high to make a good sawbench, but I'll likely cut it down after they get too big for it. I built it out of an old mantle my mother in law was getting rid of. The sap was still live in the doug fir after 40+ years. My mini moravian racks a bunch but that's because I built it sloppily in an afternoon and haven't yet really attached all the pieces. I'm currently on the stetcher mortises. Cutting all the through mortises by hand is a lot of work. Note on the moravian design, the coupling between the legs and the top is critical as that's the other tension point for the legs to stay at the right angle. So you need tight tenons on the stretchers (whcih the through tusk tenons really help with) but also a solid connection to the top.
IMG_20200404_205949.jpg
If you're outside a lot, also consider a japanese style planing beam / low roman style bench. You'd be amaazed at how much you can build on a 19" high 4x12 pine/fir slab. I find for mortises, I really want to be sitting on the piece to hold it down. I've looked at the Roubo framesaws, (as obviously I like bowsaws) but haven't really seen the need for one in my setup. Although watching people saw through huge stumps with a roubo makes me wonder if maybe I should build one.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Call this serendipity on the bench. There is a cheat for the big mortises. I'm planning to build from dimension lumber, probably 2x6. Once I have them all through my (mediocre) planer, square, identical, and cut off the snipe, I'll be able to make a 3 board sandwich with a gap between two boards that passes for a mortise. This is something that can and must be cut on the saw before assembly. It is possible to idiot proof by making a fake tenon or identical copies on the table saw that is fitted during glue up and then removed. the fake tenon needs some wax to prevent glue from sticking.

You'll be able to tighten that up. It is the nature of the build. You can always shim the mortises and/or tenons and trim/sand/chisel them to size. I built a knock off of the Sjoberg portable bench vise. https://www.zoro.com/sjobergs-work-stat ... /G5267739/ I did a really bad job of freehand drilling the dog holes. When I got a drill press, I plugged them and redrilled. Worked out great. Who says you can't undrill a hole? BTW, this thing is great and will be a perfect companion to the Moravian.
Attachments
vise2.jpg