Question About Velvet Flocking

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Question About Velvet Flocking

Post by dorrisant »

How would you do it?
What glue do you use?

I have a '55 Guild Master amp that needs the grill cloth changed. It doesn't have the original. I was thinking, why not do it like the original.
Getting together a sort of mask should be easy enough, like a stencil. Just have to match the font and conjure up the pick shaped graphic.

Should I use 3M adhesive spray through the mask?

Here are a couple of examples of what I'm trying to accomplish:
Attachments
Grill Cloth Ex2.jpg
photo-20130924-233210.jpg
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
xtian

Re: Question About Velvet Flocking

Post by xtian »

Cool idea. The crafty folk (maybe at the store that sells flocking?) should know about which glue.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Koolaide

Post by Koolaide »

As I recall Elmer's or Original titebond would be the glue to use. I believe 3M spray would work, I would want to spray the stencil/ mask with glue to get clean lines. If it were me I would mix up some good ol Elmer's with a dab of water and spray that in 2 or 3 passes to build up a little thickness, then blow on the flocking. Airbrush would be nice, but a spray gun would work too.
Test a little on scrap.

Keep your spray square and parallel to the stencil for clean lines.
Good luck,
Jim
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I knew abut white glue to attach flocking to scale models but for application on canvas I'd be tempted to use glue for canvas, for it should be more flexible. Here we have that

https://sader.fr/produits/colle-tissus- ... es-ourlets

but I don't know in the US. I think I'd try with tolex glue as well, if I had some available at hand.

Scale modelists just let the flocking fall on the glued surfaces, possibly through a sieve.

Don't know about 3M sprays but they most likely have a suitable product for that.
alkuz1961

Post by alkuz1961 »

There are special flocked films for thermotransfer
https://www.forever-ots.com/product/flock/
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

The proper way to apply defined graphics, such as your text or drawings, and what those old Manufacturers used, is to silk screen apply a special adhesive, that allows to get precision fine lines and edges orb text if you wish, and then as said above, apply flocking through a sieve for uniform spreading.

You let adhesive cure, sometimes even using an oven, and shake/blow unattached flock away.

An improvement is to use a high voltage (kilovolts) but low current supply to sieve and printing table , so electrostatics make flock jump to print ... and nowhere else, to avoid creating a mess.

WAY too complicatedn for home use, I mention it only for sake of completeness, but the T Shirt silkscreeners use it.
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks guys, all good advice... I still have this sitting on the shelf for now. I have a close friend that has a t-shirt shop and has offered his services. I think I may take him up on it.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo

Post by Default »

dorrisant wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm How would you do it?
What glue do you use?

I have a '55 Guild Master amp that needs the grill cloth changed. It doesn't have the original. I was thinking, why not do it like the original.
Getting together a sort of mask should be easy enough, like a stencil. Just have to match the font and conjure up the pick shaped graphic.

Should I use 3M adhesive spray through the mask?

Here are a couple of examples of what I'm trying to accomplish:
That bottom amp is mine, btw. I have two of them and two of the 4X 6V6GT versions. Message me if you need good photos of the grillscreen.
If it won't kill me by taking it into the bathtub, I don't want anything to do with it!