ODS Head Cabinet - Basic Crossbar Questions

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

ODS Head Cabinet - Basic Crossbar Questions

Post by donvan »

Just a couple of simple question regarding the cross bar on an ODS cabinet:

1) It would seem that the crossbar width on the top side of the bar should be 3/4 inches since that is the width of the aluminum bar that most use. What about the dimension of face forward crossbar width. Just by looking I'd say it's 3/4 to 1 inch. What width do most people use?

2) What is the purpose of the crossbar? Looks? Cabinet strength?

3) I know that a woodworker would do some sort of dado cut for the crossbar. For those of us with more basic tools, what about counter sunk screws and some glue. Has anyone had success doing it that way?

Thanks,
Don
Geeze

Re: ODS Head Cabinet - Basic Crossbar Questions

Post by Geeze »

Hi Don,

If you're going to tolex the cab screws and glue would be fine. Personally I'd just glue it in with Titebond and forget about it.

I believe the cross piece was more of a decorative element / transition from the cloth face plate to the amp.

Russ
donvan

Post by donvan »

Thanks Russ.
When you say you would glue it and forget about it, are you saying you would not use any screws?
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I wouldn't - with the Titebond series the glued joint is stronger than the wood around it. I made a wild headcab for the Dallas Guitar festival a few years back that has three strips of padauk running side to side and edge glued maple running front to back. Those are all load bearing joints unlike the ODS crossbar. The middle strip is also the handle for the JMP2204 which isn't a light amp. Still getting carried about by that handle.
P6280688.JPG
Russ
donvan

Post by donvan »

Russ,
That is some really nice, creative wood work. Well done!
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Geeze wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:42 pm I wouldn't - with the Titebond series the glued joint is stronger than the wood around it. I made a wild headcab for the Dallas Guitar festival a few years back that has three strips of padauk running side to side and edge glued maple running front to back. Those are all load bearing joints unlike the ODS crossbar. The middle strip is also the handle for the JMP2204 which isn't a light amp. Still getting carried about by that handle.

P6280688.JPG

Russ
Beautiful work, and extremely ambitious.
I guess a matching cab would be extremely detuned.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

TUBEDUDE wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:40 am Beautiful work, and extremely ambitious.
I guess a matching cab would be extremely detuned.
I thought about a speaker cab for about 2 minutes and then remembered the 200+ zebra inlays on the head - it was a big negative. Being a closed back fan thought of a plywood liner or 1/2" plexiglass. But again - no.

Russ