Favourite speaker boxes?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jazzbass

Re: Favourite speaker boxes?

Post by jazzbass »

Hello everybody,

I want to buy an EV speaker to build an open box or aTL 806. My choice fell on the EVM 12L but I would like some advice, do you like this speaker more or version 2 of the same ... EVM 12L series II?
Thank you

Franco
franco mezzalira
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

jazzbass wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am
I want to buy an EV speaker to build an open box or aTL 806. My choice fell on the EVM 12L but I would like some advice, do you like this speaker more or version 2 of the same ... EVM 12L series II?
Hi Franco,

My limited understanding of the EVM12 speakers is they are designed as a PA speaker to be neutral/accurate and not 'flavor' the sound. If this is true then the series won't matter to the sound.

You also might look at doing a copy of the Zilla Fat Baby - I built one as a closed back and I prefer it to the TL806 cabs I have.

Russ
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Thanks Russ for the reply,

I have listened to various demos and I like the sound of this speaker, moreover it has been chosen by many artists who use Dumble or derivative amplifiers.

My question was: having listened to the difference between EVM 12 L and EVM 12L series II which is richer in the mid-high frequencies, which one would you choose between the two? and with which amplifier.

Certainly in PA applications there is a need for a loudspeaker that can withstand a large amount of power but this series is also successfully used by guitarists and bassists.

You write that you own a Thiele TS 806 speaker, is it built according to the original design? what are, as exactly as possible, the differences you noticed between this and the FatBoy Zila. Where did you find the measures to build this last one ?.

Thanks for the reply

Franco
franco mezzalira
Roe

Post by Roe »

any experience with the UK Barefaced cabs? https://barefacedaudio.com/collections/diffractor-cabs
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Roe wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:21 am any experience with the UK Barefaced cabs? https://barefacedaudio.com/collections/diffractor-cabs
Dunno if you’ve already seen, but there’s a couple of happy users on the Marshall Forum https://www.marshallforum.com/search/37 ... ost&o=date
Their price is somewhat eye watering :shock:
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi Roe,

I followed the story of Barefaced audio factory and their method of charging the speaker with a rear horn is not new. The same principle was applied to a old bass combo by Trace Elliot which, however, charged the speaker from the front.

For Barefaced speaker the result depends, in my opinion, on the possibility of the rear sound being reinforced by the reflections of the walls, which is not always applicable in a live music situation.

See also the wonderful speakers model 901 Bose ..... but we are in another area, the domestic one. Here, too, the best result was guaranteed only on condition of having the possibility of placing the speakers in a dometic environment suitable for them.

This is only my opinion.

Also keep in mind that the long side of the speaker cabinet must be the same or larger in size than the Dumble heads that, for pure passion and curiosity, I am building. :D

Franco
franco mezzalira
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

jazzbass wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:46 am \My question was: having listened to the difference between EVM 12 L and EVM 12L series II which is richer in the mid-high frequencies, which one would you choose between the two? and with which amplifier.

Certainly in PA applications there is a need for a loudspeaker that can withstand a large amount of power but this series is also successfully used by guitarists and bassists.

You write that you own a Thiele TS 806 speaker, is it built according to the original design? what are, as exactly as possible, the differences you noticed between this and the FatBoy Zila. Where did you find the measures to build this last one ?.
Hi Franco,

I don't have very much experience with the series I and series II - I'm running the currently available 'Classic' version. Without playing them side by side I wouldn't have a preference. If you have darker amps the more mid high forward version may be a good fit - bright amp not so much.

The Fatbaby is the version I copied - they have the outer dimensions on their website. I find it to be a fuller low end than the ported TL806 - and thus closer to a 1960B which is my favorite cab. Mids and highs no notable difference.

Let me explain my listening thought process. I sold high end HiFi in the early 80's $9000 preamp/amp racks - a pair per side, $6000 turntables and $16000 speakers and all the crazy sound enhancing crap - center channels, bi amped systems with 18" subs and imported real vinyl from Japan. I trained my ear so much it distracted from the enjoyment of listening to music as I was forever tweaking - dialing for the room / BOM, etc. I would get annoyed that I could hear the singer breathing between notes. Later moved into guitar amps and flat out refused to dive into the tonewoods, NOS tubes and higher fidelity attention and over tweaking. Now I crank it, it sounds great and I'm happy. Ask me about low mids and I'll shrug my shoulders and smile.

Russ
chromefaceplate

Post by chromefaceplate »

Decades ago I bought new a HOLMES Mississippi Blues Master piggy back w/4x10 open back-very light, less than 3/4” ply, really chunky cab. Re-tolexed from black to a chocolate brown/cinnamin grill. It must still be out there, somewhere. Should have kept the cab, anyway. Replaced a V4 stack in a bar that burned down.

Now I use a black back in a naked cut-down bassman cab (dry), or Italian Jensen alnico 10s, and Celestion 80 watt neos in a cut-down Leslie cab and Groovetube side-firing cab for wet stereo (Marshall 50/50).