Favourite speaker boxes?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

fred.violleau

Re: Favourite speaker boxes?

Post by fred.violleau »

Interesting thread ! I am on the verge of getting 2 EVM 10 L. I am wondering if I would be better with a 2x10 maybe Two rock oval open back, or these would be better in single Thiel ported cab ala Larry Carlton? What is your take on this one?

Also what difference between Pine and plywood other than the weight? I read somewhere that heavier wood would produce brighter sound. What is your experience with these? Open back or closed back?

I own a 2x12 loaded with a pair of 12' WGS ETA90 (open back ala Two rock, but a bit wider)...
A 80s Thiel cab, open back loaded with a rocket 50 and re-tolexed tweed style.

Speakers that need to find a new cab :
1 x 80s EVM 12L
2 x 90s EVM 10 L

Any advice is welcomed!

Happy Halloween!

Fred.
deeder

Post by deeder »

Actually I prefer 4x12 slant cab detuned with diagonally arranged speakers wired in parallel.
- G12H Greenback 30W 75Hz 16 Ohms Pulsonic cone
- G12M Greenback 30W 75 Hz 16 Ohms Pulsonic cone
2204 likes this cab !
2203/2204-ish/Deluxe Reverb
Roe

Post by Roe »

deeder wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:07 pm Actually I prefer 4x12 slant cab detuned with diagonally arranged speakers wired in parallel.
- G12H Greenback 30W 75Hz 16 Ohms Pulsonic cone
- G12M Greenback 30W 75 Hz 16 Ohms Pulsonic cone
2204 likes this cab !
how do you detune the cab?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
deeder

Post by deeder »

Roe wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:39 pm how do you detune the cab?
Sorry for the lack of precision, only two drivers loaded into the 4x12, plywood back panel.
2203/2204-ish/Deluxe Reverb
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

fred.violleau wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:37 pm Interesting thread ! I am on the verge of getting 2 EVM 10 L. I am wondering if I would be better with a 2x10 maybe Two rock oval open back, or these would be better in single Thiel ported cab ala Larry Carlton? What is your take on this one?

Also what difference between Pine and plywood other than the weight? I read somewhere that heavier wood would produce brighter sound. What is your experience with these? Open back or closed back?

Fred.
Hi Fred,

I'm not an open back fan so I can't help you there. As for the EV10's I'd stick them in a scaled down version of the TL806 or cobble together a 2x10 version.

On the material options and tone I'm a doubting Thomas as there are so many factors that affect/shape the final sound - the room, atmospheric, power etc. Without a controlled test - same speaker[s] swapping into each cab, same day, room etc with some kind of frequency analysis gear I tend to take opinions on this with a large grain of salt. I'll never forget jamming at a house that was the brightest room I had ever played in. Trebles off, guitar tone down I even brought GB's and EV's the next time instead of V30's and it was still bright.

I built a pine TL806 for a working guitarist and a canary wood and padauk version and we ran them side by side - no clear tonal difference.

The magic of pine is it's light and cheap - can be a challenge to find wide enough planks without knots. Other light less expensive options are African mahogany or poplar.

Russ
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Guys, thanks for chiming in, really appreciate your inputs.

A detuned 4x12 would be cool, but a PITA to haul around.. I may go with Russ's suggestion with 2 x TL 806. That way I can mix a 10' with a 12' to taste ;)

So glad you debunk these myth Russ as for the wood types. Enjoying your tremendous work, and hopefully may one day start to play with dovetail joints as well.

The guys from Zilla cab were refering this week to a softer front panel that would allow the cab to react differently on the Marshall Artiste.. Anyone has experienced this? I used to have one of these 20 years ago, and threw the speakers away when I left Nice, they were blown, but I now know that I could have reconed them...

Now I am desperately hunting for some of these sweet speakers at a decent price... The dumb mistake we do, when you don't know and realize what you already have...

Have a gone one !

Fred.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

fred.violleau wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:50 pm A detuned 4x12 would be cool, but a PITA to haul around..
That's the thing. Just too darned heavy these days. I recently sold my last 4x12 :( They sound amazing though. I prefer the detuned to the fully loaded cab. More breadth and air (clarity and presence) and less honk/congestion. Oh course, if I had the place and interest to light up a 50W or 100W Plexi, sure, I'd probably go for the classic combination. But the sound I like these days is not about massive volume, just comfortably so and a good balance of everything.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

fred.violleau wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:50 pm
The guys from Zilla cab were refering this week to a softer front panel that would allow the cab to react differently on the Marshall Artiste.. Anyone has experienced this?
Fred.
I tend to be nervous about the baffle / front panel flexing as the pressure inside the box [closed back of course] ebbs and surges. I am concerned about speaker frame flexure - maybe a smarter speaker guy could weigh in on this?

Russ
Shenneman

Post by Shenneman »

I'll have to try that style detuned cab, great idea!

I just tried a Scumback M75 in a Mesa Thiele cab to compare it to a 4x12, loaded with a combo of Scumback M75's and Celestion greenbacks, and was pleasantly surprised at how well it fared. Not as open and detailed, but definitely had some low end girth and wasn't boxy once the volume was up. Definitely both beamy though.

I actually prefer a 4x12 with casters for moving around to a 2x12 with casters as long as there aren't any stairs gravel to have to load in and out through, more balanced and less having to bend over.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

I have been busy the last two weeks completing a 2x10 sealed/ported cab with the EVM, and it is worth the work!
Color is seafoam green, but with the electric light, turns blue ;(
PXL_20201228_184145467.jpg
PXL_20201228_184209004.jpg
PXL_20201228_223015247.jpg
PXL_20201228_222928390.jpg
PXL_20201228_224517796.jpg
Made a mistake though : I did not keep enough space on the sides to build a grill cloth. So I may have to cope with a light metal grill. It is quite heavy, but the clarity is quite astonishing. Everything feels smooth and not harsh, but defined, even when pushing presence control to the max. Great speakers for sure!

I have almost completed a 1x12 for another EVM L so I will be able to A/B these.

Happy Holidays!

Fred.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

What a beast!

Only 4 bolts per speaker?

Can't you just bolt the speakers from the inside and thus manage enough room for a grilcloth frame?

Of course you'll loose some inside volume but this lost might not be that much significant... if ever possible?
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Haha @ChopSauce, I love your attention to details.
In the original Boogie Thiele cab, the EVM 12L had only four wood screws! I thought using using four good bolts should be good enough since they squeeze the speaker against the pannel.

Yes it is a beast probably 55-60 pounds (speakers are 20 pounds each...).

Good advice, I could tuck the speakers on the inside and then I would get enough space for a wood framed grill cloth. To be honest I don't know how important the ported thing is, because on the paper it seems to act on the knee of the low frequencies. Which as a guitar player don't care much.

I realized with experience, that trying to get the fullest sound (occupying a large band of frequencies) is not the best way to cut through a mix, have the bass player enjoy playing with you, and even on distortion we usually trim these in the different amplification stages to keep things articulated ;)

Funny thing with that box is I can turn up the bass and it adds low frequencies to the sound, but it also gets mellow, like silkier.. it really is different from my other 2x10 celestions.

I will try to A/B demo these soon. I have to tolex the headcab today for my #183.

Cheers!

Fred.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

fred.violleau wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:24 am I have been busy the last two weeks completing a 2x10 sealed/ported cab with the EVM, and it is worth the work!
Color is seafoam green, but with the electric light, turns blue ;(

PXL_20201228_184145467.jpg
PXL_20201228_184209004.jpg
PXL_20201228_223015247.jpg
PXL_20201228_222928390.jpg
PXL_20201228_224517796.jpg

Made a mistake though : I did not keep enough space on the sides to build a grill cloth. So I may have to cope with a light metal grill. It is quite heavy, but the clarity is quite astonishing. Everything feels smooth and not harsh, but defined, even when pushing presence control to the max. Great speakers for sure!

I have almost completed a 1x12 for another EVM L so I will be able to A/B these.

Happy Holidays!

Fred.
Fantastic Fred,

I made the same mistake on the first one I Built :D I did what @Chopsauce said and mounted them from the rear and made a frame for the grill cloth.

I've always fancied a 2x10 cab never got round to it though, I have a 4x10 however.

M
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Hi Fred,

Great looking cab!

I lusted after 10" EV's long enough to build white oak 2x10 scaled down TL806ish cab. Never found any I was willing to throw $$$ at so I sold it.

Russ
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Hey Marcus I will probably keep it as is for a while, since I don't have a band and no gigs in a near future....Might eventually flip the speakers on the inside as well and build a frame for the grill cloth. For now it sounds just fine as is!

I used to own a 4x10 when I was giging in club in Nice (Fr), many many moons ago, Marshall cab. It was easy to haul around and not too heavy to carry up my 6 floors with no elevator...

Liked the projection it had, but I would not imagine what this could have been, had it had 4 EVs in there ;)

Hey Russ, that must have been a fantastic looking cab! I have been on the lookout for these speakers on eBay for more than 2 1/2 years. Barely could find some, and when I did, could not accept to throw that many dollars on these with a potential issue...

Luck brought these on a local ad site. The owner was willing to trade, so I offered my Tweedle Dee head. We met and he fell in love with it, while those speakers are almost immaculate and were delivered in their original boxes.

I must say I know hear some of that SRV sweetness in the tone. I had read somewhere that he used thes speakers and totally understand why.

Happy new year guys!

Fred.