Seeking wiring advice for series out from a cabinet with speakers wired in parallel

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

professormudd

Seeking wiring advice for series out from a cabinet with speakers wired in parallel

Post by professormudd »

Greetings,

I am a very novice tinkerer, and I would really appreciate some guidance.

I built 2 speaker cabinets. The first is a 2 x 10" (16 ohm each) wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load. The second is a 1 x 12" 8 ohm.

What I would like to achieve is the option of connecting one cabinet to the other to create a 16 ohm load OR 4 ohm load. I am fine with either using a switch or multiple jacks.

I can much more easily wrap my head around the parallel connection between the cabinets than how to run the 2 parallel 10s in series with the 12.

I have tried searching, but I have been unsuccessful in finding results that I translate to my current situation.

If anyone can provide me advice or a diagram, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks. Mudd.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
sluckey

Re: Seeking wiring advice for series out from a cabinet with speakers wired in parallel

Post by sluckey »

I have a simple Y cable that will connect an amp to two cabs connected in series. Might give you some ideas.
Attachments
Y_cable.png
professormudd

Re: Seeking wiring advice for series out from a cabinet with speakers wired in parallel

Post by professormudd »

That is pretty cool. Thanks.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
NickC

Post by NickC »

You may find this a very useful device that solves many speaker-cab-hook-up conundrums:

https://www.radialeng.com/product/cab-link
romberg

Post by romberg »

I have most of my cabinets modified with a jack plate containing four cliff jacks wired to allow me to connect cabinets in series or parallel using standard speaker cables. This is the lable I laminate and attach next to the jack plate:
4jack-plate.gif
It is important that the jacks are either cliff type (non-conductive) or insulated from each other in some other way.

On my 4x12 cabinets, I wire them up as 2 2x12s in one box and have two of these plates on each cab. That way I can run them with two amps as a pair of 2 2x12s or a standard 4x12 with one amp. It is a little funky. But the only thing I need to bring along is standard speaker cables. The funky adapters are built right into my cabs :)

Mike

P.S. To run in series amp -> series in -> series out ----- [to second cab] --> parallel in.
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
-Matt