My Two 5E3s

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

professormudd

My Two 5E3s

Post by professormudd »

This is my first and second foray into amp building. I am a software engineer by trade, but I have always wanted to understand and be able to work with and repair electronics, specifically guitar amplifiers. Before I started the first of the two 5E3s, I had barely any experience operating a soldering iron for more than a rapid/hasty repair to a jack.

Now look at me. I still don't know anything, but I did get better at soldering and I have a couple of amplifiers that sound pretty darn good.

I built two 5E3 amps, one of which I proceeded to take apart and put back together four times so far adding/removing mods and the other I plan to keep vanilla (or close to it).

I am not a woodworker by any stretch. I make more firewood than anything, but I derive a lot of pleasure operating dangerous power tools, so the trial and error is okay with me.

I wanted the cabinets to kind of match the attitude of each amp.

The purple one is a simplified Tweedle-Dee (layout from Rob Robinette's site) with a post-phase-inverter master volume, switched negative feedback, cascaded channels, and the normal channel has been converted to a high-gain lead channel. I covered it in vinyl gator skin I bought a Joann's. The cabinet houses 2 10" celestion creambacks.

The vanilla one I made the mistake of trying Minwax PolyShades which I found very unruly and I hate the outcome. I will be painting it piano black. Ultimately what I was going for was a more "dignified" or "conservative" look to match it's more traditional tone. The circuit is a vanilla with an added switched negative feedback and post phase inverter master volume. The cabinet houses a celestion G12H anniversary.

For the heads, I had to figure something out to attach the chassis to the cabinet, so I attached a couple of bolts to the mounting holes and then used wingnuts to attach the chassis to the head face-plate. I think what I would rather do is weld a nut to the inside of the chassis so I can put a screw in from the front and not have those weird looking wingnuts there.
pair.jpg
head.jpg
vanilla.jpg
Vanilla circuit.jpg
lead mod.jpg
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
joeboo88

Re: My Two 5E3s

Post by joeboo88 »

Quote"I am not a woodworker by any stretch. I make more firewood than anything, but I derive a lot of pleasure operating dangerous power tools, so the trial and error is okay with me."

LOL- that's me too. I love the look of your amps. I like that homemade look to amp builds, puts a personal touch and is not the norm.

How does the amp sound with the 2 creambacks? I built a 5E3 with a single 12 Celestion greenback and love it

keep up the good work
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

The 2 creambacks sound pretty nice. A lot more full than I expected. I have only ever used 10s for my bass rig, so I had no frame of reference for guitar.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Delidroid

Post by Delidroid »

Hello Prof.
I’m a bit late to the party but I’ve only just joined this Forum.
Your wing nut problem could be solved by using “Captive nuts”. These are a square nut held in a cage. You file out the chassis holes to a square shape. The cage clips inside the hole. The nuts can move about a bit so accuracy to .001” is unnecessary.