2x12 Cab with JBL E120 Drivers

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Drewbertca

2x12 Cab with JBL E120 Drivers

Post by Drewbertca »

I'm looking for suggestions on dimensions for a 2x12 cab loaded with JBL E120 drivers to use along side a 2x15 With Eminence Kappa 15As and/or An old Traynor cab loaded with an Eminence Hempdog 12 and an EVM15B (The cab was mangled to fit the 15 before I bought it).

I will be playing bass and guitar through it. My main amp is a Fender Bassbreaker 45 Head and my main bass is a Fender VI.
Attachments
stacked.jpg
Geeze

Re: 2x12 Cab with JBL E120 Drivers

Post by Geeze »

Hi DrewbertCA, welcome to the forum!

Building or buying?

For sizes on closed back cabs I'd look at existing manufacturers for some size ideas if you're going to build the cab. I saw a tread on another forum about cab resonance and it referenced Zilla cabs as 'hitting' the resonance sweet spot - I'll have to see if I can dig it up. I built a cab based on one of Zilla's 'over sized' cabs and haven't been able to test it beyond apartment volumes yet. The initial impression is it isn't anything bigger or awesome sounding than an TS-806 cab or one of my other 1x12s.

I'm an experimenter that reads as much as I can find on sound / speakers and most of what I've found pertains to HiFi. The most telling bit to date is that while you can build it too small or too big there isn't a magical size. I wouldn't put much stock in the Thiele Small data as it is for HiFi and I believe can lead you down the wrong path.

Then there is the materials debate which can be fraught lots of marketing and not enough science. And of course how much weigh you want to haul around.

Let know which direction you are headed and if it's a build really like seeing the build process.

Russ