What is it called, where do I buy it?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

What is it called, where do I buy it?

Post by Phil_S »

I remember in 7th and 8th grade shop class (c. 1964-66) we had what I think were resin sticks in various shades of wood color. A lit match or lighter would liquify the end of the stick, allowing a few drips onto the wood work piece to fill a minor imperfection. It got hard very quickly and could then be planed or sanded.

Can this stuff still be found? If so, what is it called? Where can it be bought? I don't recall seeing this stuff in the big box store, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place? I've concluded I'm not clever enough to discover this via Google. I need some help!

Thank you.
Colossal

Re: What is it called, where do I buy it?

Post by Colossal »

Try googling Wood Filler Crayon and Wood Filler Sticks
xtian

Post by xtian »

Furniture touch up sticks
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Lacquer sticks(burn in stick). Yes - I am a geezer

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product ... -nEALw_wcB

Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Stelligan hits the bull's eye! That's the stuff. Memory must be off a bit as I remembered them as more pencil shaped, but that is most definitely the stuff. I didn't remember working it with the knives they show, but that's not really important. Many thanks.

What's it called? Burn in sticks. Now I can search. It turns out that Mohawk also makes them from hard wax, not resin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdrKjibQWrc
LOL, that first one is a gaff and I think you'll chuckle. Here's the do over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cEhJRn60WY

Funny how a person can draw out a memory that is over 50 years old. Somehow, I knew that someone here would know. This group is a treasure chest of obscure knowledge.

The problem with a more general search is that is brings up wax crayons and markers. The wax rubs off and finish doesn't want to stick to it. The markers don't fill the hole. Runner up prizes for the other replies. "A" for effort and still much appreciated.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Phil S said:
Funny how a person can draw out a memory that is over 50 years old. Somehow, I knew that someone here would know. This group is a treasure chest of obscure knowledge.

I concur, as I was just remembering my old teacher Mrs. Kennedy, perched on her desk, saying "the battle of Hastings was in 1066", as i was standing in the kitchen with no idea what I came in for.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Hi Phil,

Hiding imperfections or damage on bare wood is an art - most high end furniture stores have a dude [or dudette] or two that can work magic. Same with high end shotguns.
How durable the repair is - unknown. Taking bits of matching wood grain from the underside and shaping it to fit was way beyond my patience level.

So I make them obvious.

For filling imperfections I use epoxy for bigger stuff 5 minute or 30 minute depending on how hard I need the surface to be. My all time favorite for the small stuff is thin / medium or thick CA which I hit with an aerosol accelerant. That fits my NOW! NOW! NOW! personality. Both can act like a design feature filling in worm holes or imperfections -
DSC_0597.JPG
Or on a boundary between light and dark wood will almost disappear.

Or with some dye or metallic powder art -
Faceplate sealed 2.jpg
and make a statement.

Russ