Champ-like Build

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kprzybyla

Champ-like Build

Post by kprzybyla »

Fender Champ-like build around a NOS 1976 Jensen 8" speaker and tubes from a collection purchased at a local estate sale. Cut from on CNC router and plasma table. Purebond 0.75 in. oak plywood, oak, and stainless steel.

Files: https://grabcad.com/library/fender-cham ... t-v3-wip-1
Attachments
CHAMPASSY02-002.JPG
CHAMPASSY02-001.JPG
ChopSauce

Re: Champ-like Build

Post by ChopSauce »

I'm still waiting for someone to model a true Tweed Deluxe narrow panel cab but that looks cool... 8)

You can host the CAD files on the forum so members interested don't have to create an account on that website you mentionned on the link.

Your cab seems well worth a rounding edge job, also.
kprzybyla

Post by kprzybyla »

Point to drawing for a Tweed Deluxe narrow panel cabinet. Doesn't take much effort to get something into CAD.

Can't round edges without previously having added blocks to joints as outer panel verniers are thin. And I'm not wood/metal worker - if components don't come off CNC router, mill, lathe, or plasma it isn't going to happen.

Champ-like not a clone. Not into Fender's (or anyone else's) Early American Salvation Army style cabinets.

This is test bed for DSP that will toggle in and out in place of initial pre-amp. Picked Champ schematic due to lack of tone circuitry and having all the parts except PT. Neighbor's kid will get plain amp when I'm done with it.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I'm not really something of an old fashion guy but I love the object "5E3 cab".
kprzybyla wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:20 am Doesn't take much effort to get something into CAD.
If you master CAD, of course... :wink:

I used to do some modelling in the early 2k years but CAD software have evolved into something even more complex and I find it more usefull to use my router than using my time to learn CAD programs...
(to build 2 cabs per decade)

To each one his own bias... 8)
kprzybyla

Post by kprzybyla »

Did version of same box with rounded corner inserts I mentioned with slightly different rear panel for a local but haven't cut yet. Someone else wants the square box but for 12" speaker and longer/wider chassis.

SpaceClaim (ANSYS) is easy to learn but no built-in CAM. RS Components has free/somewhat limited version but I can't remember what they call it (seem like it has a weird name that doesn't resemble the original).
Attachments
CHAMPASSY5-1.JPG.JPG
CHAMPASSY5-2.JPG
Champ Cabinet v4 002.png
kprzybyla

Post by kprzybyla »

I'm still waiting for someone to model a true Tweed Deluxe narrow panel cab but that looks cool...
Don't really know which cabinets are which. I'm preparing to do batch of 5E3-like cabinets for a local. Will be 0.75 in. but appearance from front will look like it is made from 0.50 in. material (which I don't use). Working from someone else's copy/clone and varying dimensions found on the web. Steel chassis will differ due to tube set and iron. Limiting CNC to 3 axis single sided cuts and no tool changes so its easy for anyone to cut - otherwise design would differ.

https://grabcad.com/library/fender-5e3- ... ssis-wip-1

Also an early Silvertone-like cabinet and chassis for someone else.
https://grabcad.com/library/intentional ... -cabinet-1
Attachments
5E3-001.JPG
ugly1-09.jpg
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

Just wanted to say that I think it's really neat that you're posting these up! Very cool! 8)
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.