Celestion V10-60 vs. G10N-40

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Celestion V10-60 vs. G10N-40

Post by ChopSauce »

Not sure it is the best place to ask but maybe someone knows anyway... :?:

I'm looking for a fairly cheap, yet decent, 10" Celestion speaker for my vintage Vox AC4 build.

It's hard to find informations about the V10-60 (Sliver series) which seems to be one of the last low £ speaker produced in UK (maybe.)

Even harder is to find some comparison between these two, which both seem to be recommended, according to Google.

Edit (in reply to self):

The response curve of the G10N-40 shows a knee at around 30Hz
G10N-40.gif
G10N-40.gif (13.48 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
by comparison with the response of the G10 Creamback
G10 Creamback.gif
G10 Creamback.gif (13.23 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
which - I guess :?: - is unlikely to produce the "chime" I'm after.
JMFahey

Re: Celestion V10-60 vs. G10N-40

Post by JMFahey »

Typical frequency curves are meant for Hi Fi speakers (we are a TINY market by comparison) so show full Hi Fi range: 20Hz to20kHz, which might be confusing.

Guitar range is WAY narrower, from 80Hz to, say, 5 kHz, 6kHz tops, solet´s focus on that.

I edited your graphs to show so.

1) area within Green rectangle shows relevant frequencies and also relevant SPL,anything below 90 dB (I show down to 85 just for completeness) will not be heard under stage or even garage rehearsal conditions, it will be *masked* by ambient noise (cough cough "drummer" cough cough ;) )

2) chime area is roughly within the blue rectangle, so compare same areas in both curves.

3) Creamback (which itself is a variation of Greenback) consistently outperforms Silver at most any frequency, even in the Chime area.
Which is not surprising, and it´s a more expensive speaker too.
Being more efficient all over the range also means it´s better suited for a low power amp such as AC4 in most situations
First Creamback, then Silver:
G10 Creamback.gif
G10N-40.gif
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Thank you very much for these insights. I must have been confusing the lack of response close to 100Hz and the chime, does it seem.

It's really difficult to learn sound related terms through the computer, but the point is I haven't been disapointed by the silver. It is just how I expected.

However, I feel it already is too powerfull for the small AC4 and its fragile EF86.
xtian

Post by xtian »

JM, when we play highly distorted guitar tones, there is a lot of high Q information in the signal. I tried a Jensen D12K (extended high end) in my cabinet and it sounded terrible with high gain sounds. We're used to our guitar speakers rolling off the high end! So, that top end of the graph is important to consider.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
JMFahey

Post by JMFahey »

Yes, definitely.
That said, OP asked about "chime" and that hints at him wanting "clean sparkly extended highs".
What´s good for Country, Surf, Funky or old British invasion sound, including early Beatles, of course it´s the opposite of what High Gain people want, including you :)

Never heard that particular Jensen speaker, but in general Jensen, specially modern ones, are great for that Tele or Strat twang, not that much (it´s an understatement ;) ) for hard Rock or Metal.
If it´s brighter than average, even less.
*Old* Alnico Jensen are smoother than modern ones, basically because they are old and worn (typically 60 y.o. :shock: ) , all moving parts have softened and are as comfortable as an old shoe or a much read book which stays open by itself on our favourite pages, he he ... or Homer´s sofa, perfectly adapted to his .... mmmmmhhhh .... well, you know ;)
Modern Jensen are excellent speakers, but as tight and uncomfortable as a new shoe ... give them time :)
Also Alnico is a "soft" magnet material (lower coercitivity) than ferrites, so along the way (bumps or being near strong magnetic fields) they often weaken.
That also contributes to mellowing.
New ones? ... they come out loaded to the brim from the powerful modern SICA factory magnetizer.

I make my own speakers, and IF asked to do so, I can easily under-charge them , I guess Ted Weber did something similar on demand.

@chopsauce: both speakers are killer ones, I suggested one over the other because I thought you hadn´t already bought one and might want to boost that AC4 output.
Glad to know it´s already more than enough powerful. :D
Design/Make/Service Musical stuff in Buenos Aires, Argentina, since 1969
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

You nailed it!

Thanks... 8)