Cabinet wood

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kiltro

Re: Cabinet wood

Post by kiltro »

Thanks for your help ChopSauce

On another topic is it a good idea to use t-nuts for the battens/baffle board connection? Is it better to use wood screws instead?
Pmacaula

Post by Pmacaula »

Can't speak for others, but I have used t-nuts/machine screws. It ensures a solid connection and the ability to take the baffle in/out more than once or twice without risk of wood damage leading to loss of grip after a few times in/out of the wood.
The one caution is, if the screws are going from the inside, having them so close to the inside wall of the cabinet can make it tricky to tighten 'straight' as your screwdriver handle (or drill) will bump up against the wall. That can be addressed with a long drive shaft in most cases.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

kiltro wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:36 pm Thanks for your help ChopSauce

On another topic is it a good idea to use t-nuts for the battens/baffle board connection? Is it better to use wood screws instead?
I can envision T-nuts as a fix for loose wood screws ... :wink:
Nicko_Lps

Post by Nicko_Lps »

Okoume plywood is the lightest plywood type you can find out there, a bit pricey though but its marine grade + very VERY lightweight compared to birch/maple plywood.
On a side note, okoume looks like a mahogany species and not that hard/dense but it wears down your cutting tools very fast.
I wouldnt use less than 18mm