Planer Blade Sharpener

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

maint_tech

Planer Blade Sharpener

Post by maint_tech »

For any woodworkers out there, the Makita 98202 sharpener is down to $200 at Home Depot.
This unit is pretty much limited to planer and jointer knives HHS only.
I have seen used units go for more than this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1-1- ... /203231412

Joe
Phil_S

Re: Planer Blade Sharpener

Post by Phil_S »

<Sigh!> I suppose it is a bargain. As much as I wanted something like this at one time, it still looks spendy to me. It is the same reason I don't own a set of Japanese waterstones. I learned to sharpen with sandpaper on glass. It doesn't cost very much and it works very well. Depending on the tool, I can start as low as 80 grit and work up to 6,000. The only other ingredients required are to make a decent jig to hold your tools and lot's of patience. Some folks do it freehand, but I don't like the results -- mostly I don't think I do it right.

Thanks for the alert. Not this time, I don't think.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Wow. I have a Porter Cable 12" planer. New knives cost $20!

Are we talking about higher-end planers here?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Phil_S wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:27 pmThe only other ingredients required are to make a decent jig to hold your tools and lot's of patience. Some folks do it freehand, but I don't like the results -- mostly I don't think I do it right.
Yes, I don't feel comfortable using this technique, either. Some might be interested to know that when you do fine metalworking, you hold the part to (re-)work with the vise and then file/sand it to specs. Not hold the tool and handle the part - so it is my feeling that a proper jig would handle the blade, rather. Someone to invent that ?
If it would cost less than 200$, it might as well sell ... :)
maint_tech

Post by maint_tech »

xtian wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:06 pm Wow. I have a Porter Cable 12" planer. New knives cost $20!

Are we talking about higher-end planers here?
I have a old 15" Jet and while I can get new blades in the $35-40 range better blades certainly cost more.
And how many times can you shift the blades a bit to cover a nick?
I start with rough lumber and it only takes one little piece of grit to get a nick that leaves the telltale line down the board. Ya they sand out but less sanding is good. :D
Nice sharp blades are certainly a pleasure to use...
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Maybe we can have a bit of discussion about sharpening. I'm not against using that machine or one like it. I someone gave me one of these machines, I'd be happy as a clam. It's just that I'd rather spend $200 on something else. I think, if I had a production shop, I wouldn't hesitate because time is money. Truthfully, I'm tempted.

Here is a photo of my chisel and hand plane blade sharpening jig. It is made from bit of old snow shovel handle (1.25" dowel), a bit of hickory scrap, and some hardware I already had. Except for the time involved (not very much), this was nearly free. (OK, I have a table saw, which made preparing the flat side of the dowel very simple.) I still need to make a little thingy that can be used to set the exact same length at every use. The length (angle setting fixture) is just a piece of wood with a rabbet (rebate for your guys on the other side) or two pieces of wood glued. This is also a scrap wood item. I use an engineer's square to make sure it is straight. To touch up a blade or chisel only takes a few minutes and it is better than new. A brand new blade or chisel will take 30 minutes or more because there can be a lot of initial grinding and polishing to get it in shape. We are talking about getting it razor sharp.

Planer and jointer blades are a whole other matter. At 6" to 20" (15-50cm) long, I'd want something like this Duehlen sharpening jig: https://www.rockler.com/deulen-planer-j ... KkQAvD_BwE I believe I have most of what I need to make one from scrap or parts on-hand, but it's a pretty good value store bought. I think the biggest challenge in making one of these is to decide on the proper angle for you particular brand of planer blade. This information doesn't seem to be freely available and, from what I have gathered, it is something between 40 degrees and 50 degrees. I will probably just go with 45 degrees and not worry about it. Also, I've gathered that you can sharpen disposable blades once and maybe two or three times.

These things are very easy to use and can be stored in a drawer.

BTW, I have something like this, but cast it aside because I can't reliably clamp the blade in it so that it is straight. I suspect these vary in quality quite a bit and I just got a bad one. In any case, this, too is very inexpensive and easy to use. https://www.amazon.com/Honing-Sharpenin ... 4230&psc=1
Attachments
chisel sharpening jig.jpg
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

ChopSauce wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:42 am Yes, I don't feel comfortable using this technique, either. Some might be interested to know that when you do fine metalworking, you hold the part to (re-)work with the vise and then file/sand it to specs. Not hold the tool and handle the part - so it is my feeling that a proper jig would handle the blade, rather. Someone to invent that ?
If it would cost less than 200$, it might as well sell ... :)
See my other post. You can make it for almost nothing. There's no market because wood workers and metal workers have enough scrap, tools, and skills to make their own. Yes, people will buy them. I can't understand this. I made one of these, but eventually decided it is more complex than it needs to be and I had trouble making the chisel or blade square to the jig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKzmN2Qw4k

Here's the world's most experienced youtube woodworker who sharpens without a jig and he gets great results very quckly. I think it is the hands of experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4yr7vp4I4
maint_tech

Post by maint_tech »

Phil_S wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:30 pm BTW, I have something like this, but cast it aside because I can't reliably clamp the blade in it so that it is straight. I suspect these vary in quality quite a bit and I just got a bad one. In any case, this, too is very inexpensive and easy to use. https://www.amazon.com/Honing-Sharpenin ... 4230&psc=1
I bought one of these years ago and got the same inconsistent results, i think its the design.
I had not seen the Rockler jigs before, something like that would be a thriftier choice.
I will touch up chisels and planes by hand but for anything more that a few strokes, holding at the proper angle means mechanical assistance for me.
Well, I ordered the Makita unit and will report back as to its effectiveness.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

maint_tech wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:27 pm Well, I ordered the Makita unit and will report back as to its effectiveness.
Please do report back. I'd very much like to hear about it. As I said, I was tempted. It would be interesting the hear if you think it was money well spent.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Thought you guys might appreciate this.
6FkZ5E2.mp4
(784.61 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
maint_tech

Post by maint_tech »

Got the sharpener and had time to give it the once-over, my take-aways are:
It does a nice job, straight edge, consistent results.
It is a heavy-duty unit, tool rest and blade holders are cast iron that have been milled.
It is a bit fiddley to get set up properly, but once there, going thru the blades is pretty smooth.
I set the heel to grind at 35° and edge at 40°.
It is messy; water drip on the stone even when set minimally will still splatter a bit. There is an adjustable containment but it don't catch everything.
It is not fast, but my blades were in poor shape with a couple nicks and they were previously hollow ground and not terribly straight, took a while to get that down.
Subsequent touch-ups should be fairly quick.
In all, I think it is a good unit and I am glad I got it, but for the smaller less expensive blades it is probably not worth it.
I have a fairly large stock of rough cut cherry, oak and pine from a local estate sale that was stored in a barn for decades. I am gonna meet a pebble or two along the way and will need to revisit the sharpener more often than most I expect.
Joe
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

maint_tech wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:43 pm I have a fairly large stock of rough cut cherry, oak and pine from a local estate sale that was stored in a barn for decades. I am gonna meet a pebble or two along the way and will need to revisit the sharpener more often than most I expect.
I don't think you told us this at the start. Knowing this, I can really see the advantage of having a machine. Good luck to you and congrats on both the machine and the estate sale find. I keep wishing I'd find one of those sales with decades old wood stored in a barn.