Chassis Stand

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Stephen1966

Chassis Stand

Post by Stephen1966 »

Fed up of chassis wobbling around on bricks I designed and built a chassis stand for my upcoming build.

It will take chassis up to 700 mm long and 220 mm wide and the brackets can be pushed together to support the smallest chassis (I'm thinking Champ).

The chassis supports rotate from -5 degrees (tilted back) to 85 degrees (tilted forward) anything more just lift and turn the chassis on the stand.

It's a simpler design than some and materials came in at around 30 Euros. Hard to say because I had some scrap pieces and parts lying around. I was lucky enough to find some nice hardwood, (plastic?) coated plywood (the kind used for table tops and trolleys) but it could be made out of 18mm (3/4") ply altering some of the dimensions slightly.

I have a workshop with table saw, band saw, pillar drill, and sander. Also, a router with a 1/4" bit and straight bit with a bearing. I got perfectly square straight edges on the brackets and base using the router and a long level. With a steady hand and more basic tools it could be done though. It depends how much time you want to spend on it. It took me about six hours. Most of it just marking out!

In the plan, I forgot to include a 10mm x 15mm birch spine down the centre of the base. It was glued into a slot 9mm deep, 15mm wide slot all the way down the centre of the base, and the brackets slide on top with a corresponding 3mm deep channel. This provides some lateral stability and should prevent the base bowing and it also keeps the brackets square when adjusting them in and out. I also put four feet on the base - you need these because otherwise the heads of the carriage bolts will snag on the bench it is sitting on.

Anyway, here you go!

Chassis stand.pdf
Added 23/05/2021
(19.55 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Sorry the photos aren't great (the battery was going so no flash) but they should give you an idea.
Added 23/05/2021
Added 23/05/2021
Added 23/05/2021
Added 23/05/2021
And the vital, final inspection!<br />Added 23/05/2021
And the vital, final inspection!
Added 23/05/2021

Good health!

Stephen
Stephen
www.primatone.eu