Decoupling Amps - iso pucks

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dbharris

Decoupling Amps - iso pucks

Post by dbharris »

Just wondering if any of you use Iso pucks or the auralex gramma boards or any other decoupling for your amps?

I just moved to a new house and ordered some of the stage 1 isoacoustics pucks. I'm going to mount them to a plywood board and see what difference it makes. Will be a few weeks until I get around to this while we unpack and get settled. But I will report back if anyone is interested.

-Dan
Colossal

Re: Decoupling Amps - iso pucks

Post by Colossal »

Dan, I'll be interested to hear of your results, or if others have used the Auralex Gramma boards.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I use a 2" thick closed cell foam pad to isolate my bass rig. Decouples the cab nicely from boomy/stages, or my homes floor, so I'm not driving the joists. My ghetto Gramma.
Last edited by TUBEDUDE on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Thanks gents I will report back when time permits me to do some testing.

Funny enough this upgrade would likely have benefited me more in my last house. My office/music room now is on solid stone floors on a slab foundation. In my last house, I was on wood floors over a crawl space. But better late than never I suppose.

-Dan
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

I finally got around to building my decoupling board and testing it. I could definitely notice improvements and plan to build another board or two for different sized amps. Bass and low mids feel tighter, especially with distortion.

After a certain level of loudness, I still get some nasty resonance in my room from windows and doors vibrating, but I didn't really expect this to eliminate that.

I had a scrap piece of solid cedar that I used. I'd recommend a wider piece than this as the isoacoustics feet are a little wobbly by nature. Especially with a vertical 2x12 and 100 watter on top.

Ripped the board to size, drilled holes for the feet, rounded over the edges with a router, shot some satin black spray paint, and mounted the feet. Pretty quick and easy.

-Dan
Attachments
PXL_20220604_194444381.jpg
PXL_20220604_221155149.jpg
PXL_20220604_221650555.jpg
PXL_20220604_221704767.jpg
PXL_20220604_222120389.jpg
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Very nice! Well done.