What should I do with this Sears 4x10 cab?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

drummer

What should I do with this Sears 4x10 cab?

Post by drummer »

Hi folks,
Bought this at a flea market last summer. It is a Sears 4x10 closed back with a really cool design.
The back/bottom is angled with wheels and a handle on the back to tip it and roll away like a built in 2 wheel dolly!
And, the speakers are staggered making the width a bit skinnier and the weight not bad. Also has two handles on the sides.

Two thing I'm thinking of doing:
Obviously put some new speakers in it. I want it to sound like a mini 4x12 at 16 ohms, which speakers and ohms do you suggest?
Also, if it won't ruin the value (if there is any at all lol?) I was thinking of cutting open the back and making it a convertible open back,
keeping the piece I cut out.
thanks
Attachments
cab1.jpg
cab2.jpg
Phil_S

Re: What should I do with this Sears 4x10 cab?

Post by Phil_S »

drummer wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:14 pm Obviously put some new speakers in it.
Not so fast! What speakers are in it? We don't know if they are trash or treasure. They might have value. Remove the back and see what is there. (Assuming it is rear loaded.) If there is no label, post the numbers on the speaker frame. They may also be numbers on the speaker cones.
drummer

Post by drummer »

ok, sealed back though. It's in my shed right now is the cold not good for it?
drummer

Post by drummer »

drummer wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:59 pm ok, sealed back though. It's in my shed right now is the cold not good for it?
pretty sure they are original, I will open it today. It was soaked in nicotine when I bought it.
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Maybe the grill cloth is on a frame that releases somehow and the speakers are front loaded. I'd be careful not to booger up the cab unless it is structurally unsound (rot, damage, made of inferior materials like MDF or other composite.) If you search, I think you'll find a few threads here about dealing with nicotine or other foul odor. I'd say, on the whole, cold isn't great for it. I wouldn't worry too much about cold. When you bring it in, just leave it for a while to get up to room temperature.

Do what know what original speakers were? There's a chance they were Jensen or Rola, both run of the mill back in the day, but potentially valuable today. Could be CTS or Utah, or other brand that will never be that desirable. There's always a chance someone upgraded them along the way. It's worth knowing.
drummer

Post by drummer »

Ok,
Here ya go. quality 3/4 baffle and sides. Ironically, the back is the crappy particle board.
Speakers are really light and feel really cheesy, but I believe original. Any idea of brand?
Attachments
spkr1.jpg
spkr2.jpg
Jered

Post by Jered »

Oxford speakers?
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Agreed, 465 = Oxford. 203 = 1963? 20th week. I think it is safe to say that Oxford is one of those unremarkable brands. Selling a matched set of 4 on eBay might bring you a meaningful amount to put towards other speakers -- I'd guess $100-$150 for the set. There's always a chance you'll find a buyer with no common sense and get more than that.

Before you ditch them, hook up the cab and see what you think. Cheap isn't always bad in the strange world of guitar amps.

You mentioned making it into a "mini 4 x 12" or something like that. I'm not sure what you meant. Looking at the baffle (I'd replace the particle board with plywood) I don't see how you'd be able to fit more than three 12" speakers and that would make for some weird configuration. It looks tight with 4 10's. You might look at a pair of 15's!
drummer

Post by drummer »

Hi,
No The baffle is 3/4 quality plywood along with the sides top and bottom. The back is particle board.
Re: mini 4x12..I just figured it would sound like one because it is closed back but 10s.
It is 8 ohms right now, I wanted to get something in there that is 16 ohms
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

If the particle board is in good shape, I'd probably keep it.