Alternative cabinet materials

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TUBEDUDE

Alternative cabinet materials

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Greetings citizens,
Have any of you experimented with materials other than wood for cabinets?
I was thinking lighter weight open back cabs from fiberglass or carbon fiber over foam core or those foam insulation panels at the manmall.
Experiences appreciated, and of course wild a$$ guesses and speculation on why it will or won't work are always welcome.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
echuta13

Re: Alternative cabinet materials

Post by echuta13 »

I would like to, but not yet. I've been stuck in the R&D phase for a long time. Work-shop is a hot mess, so it will probably be a spell before I ever get around to it.

I've looked into a maple veneer layup with a fiberglass core and/or carbon-fiber facings but I suspect I will ultimately end up with a more traditional 1/2 Baltic-birch cab with a fiberglass/carbon fiber face (less pain)

Some unconventional composite bass cabs:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/diy-li ... ld.432560/

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/anothe ... ac.663169/

I think the real challenge with working in composite is that you are not just working on a flat plane like a surfboard or something, and that could make layup a big challenge.

I looked at a ton of surfboard, skateboard, snowboard layup videos as well as vacuum pressing, wood bending, pressure forming, ect... it goes on and on. I suspect most people will tell you to not go down this road. I'm not really one of them.
I think a wood core is still a good way to go, but look into maybe balsa (end grain panel), or lighter plywoods (poplar, okoume) as options if you're looking to stay light. One other thing to say is that composite work is time consuming and not cheap.
I'm not sure if I have the patience for it, but I'm willing to at least make it a fools errand worse case. :-D

Pairing with a neodymium speaker could make for a stupidly light and strong combo. With that being said, you could still go a more conventional route and just use 1/2 Baltic birch construction and get a super light cab (Fender's Rumble 100 amp is a good example).
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Have you seen or played MarkBass cabs? They're really light, even considering the neodymium speakers. They use thinner plywood with genius bracing patterns.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I've built several Bill Fitzmaurice designed cabs that use the aircraft bracing and 1/8" panels. The 15" jack light and the 10" Jack light. Superlight and rigid cabs, but they are horns, and I need something more traditional.
I need to fit 2 isolated 10" in the stereo cab with some trick floor porting and convex back sections.

I guess I'll be doing some precision cuts of 1/8" ply...after designing this nightmare.
No free lunch.
bmx

Post by bmx »

1/8" panels? Wow. That is thin! You could cut that easily with a CO2 laser. You can even cut 1/4" with most CO2 lasers over 50 watts.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Interesting thought.... how about 1/8 ply panels with foam core glued in between, as a sandwich type panel..?? Should be quite a lot lighter than 3/4 ply or even gluelam...??
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Me likey that idea. No high tech equip. Just adhesive and clamps/ weights.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Or, build rwo 1/8" ply shells one slightly smaller than the other. Some liquid foam sprayed into the larger shell then the smaller shell pressed down into the larger until the foam rises inbetween.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

bmx wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:57 pm 1/8" panels? Wow. That is thin! You could cut that easily with a CO2 laser. You can even cut 1/4" with most CO2 lasers over 50 watts.
I don't have access to lasers since I retired. There were not able to do large panel cutting anyway. CNC might be cheaper, I don't know. I was thinking doable in my shop. I like the foam sandwich idea. I might build a shop cab for a Wheelhouse 150 to test it out.
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

Please let us know how this works out. I just picked up some 1/4" Baltic birch and some 1" basswood for structural framing & bracing. Still will be a spell before I get to it, but hopefully sooner than later. :oops:
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

It'll take me a while to get to this also. I'm
in the middle of two builds and have been crippled in a boot n crutches for the last two weeks. I see the Podiatrist this A.M. to find out WTF. Building on the bench hurts. The only relief comes while playing the Strat.
I wonder if he could give me a prescription for another guitar. It's therapy equipment!
echuta13

Post by echuta13 »

If you do ultimately go with a foam core composite build there is some good info over @ DIYAudio
Here are two super honkin big threads with foam core builds:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... es.223313/

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... ds.239338/

I'm not sure how I feel about the foam core to be honest, but if it was sandwiched in between some 3-ply Baltic birch I might change my mind (plus add a fiberglass outer/inner to it!). :mrgreen:
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

I made a Cornu several years ago with a 5" Tang Band full range driver. I use it for music in the shop. Hope to never need hot glue again.
I'm warming to the liquid foam injected between 2 shells idea. Seems like it will be more stable at higher SPL's.
But whichever way wins out, I'll not be using hot glue.
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

Moving ahead slowly on the shop speaker as I wait for parts on a Maggie build.
I decided to do extended finger joints on the internal cab edges. The finger joints will extend a half inch beyond the mating panel, giving each edge a stegosaurus like back (not shown in sketch), for added stability as it's incapsulated in foam.
Here's a rough sketch and the baffle.
20220627_094431.jpg
20220627_092701.jpg
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

The speaker is on the 20" edge (facing up in the sketch).