EVM12 cab alternatives..

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aurora

EVM12 cab alternatives..

Post by Aurora »

I managed to get hold of an EVM12 locally, for project I'm working on... have anyone tried other cabs than the traditional reflex cab that's been around for a while... Open back, partially closed... etc ??
Colossal

Re: EVM12 cab alternatives..

Post by Colossal »

Aurora wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:47 pm I managed to get hold of an EVM12 locally, for project I'm working on... have anyone tried other cabs than the traditional reflex cab that's been around for a while... Open back, partially closed... etc ??
I've had excellent results with variants on the "widebody" 1x12 Two Rock style cabinet with a (partially) open back.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I put one in an old TV cart...

http://sluckeyamps.com/TVcart/TVcart.htm
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

Colossal wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:42 pm
Aurora wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:47 pm I managed to get hold of an EVM12 locally, for project I'm working on... have anyone tried other cabs than the traditional reflex cab that's been around for a while... Open back, partially closed... etc ??
I've had excellent results with variants on the "widebody" 1x12 Two Rock style cabinet with a (partially) open back.
I've had the exact opposite. Swapped the Eminence in a TR String Driver 1x12 cab with an EV to use with my old K&M LTD amp and it was choked sounding. Pulled the EV and put in a Celestion 12H30 - huge difference. Sounded like a blanket was lifted off the cabinet. The 1x12 SD cab was the only one that the EV didn't like.

cheers,
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I built 3 TL806 cabs - one pine [that's what the customer spec'd] and two out of African Mahogany and Canary wood. They sound good - but - I built a copy of the Zilla Fatbaby OS 1x12 and it [non ported] has more low girth than the TL806's. I was impressed enough that I built a second one.

Other benefit the small box 1987 & a Satellite Cuda heads look much better on them as well.

Russ
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Thanks remarkably beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photo. Always enjoy seeing your woodworking.

With respect, 10thtx
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

A stellar example of work done by Russ. As usual, he is too modest. A Google search will show you that he documented this cabinet build on another forum. (He may have done it at TAG, too. I didn't look.)
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Cabs by Sluckey and Geeze are awesome!