Difference between - Neo Creamback and Neo V-Type

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

Difference between - Neo Creamback and Neo V-Type

Post by pjd3 »

Hey there,

Well I found out the hard way last night that the EL34 pair in a donor combo for a 2204 build will cause the El34's to butt into the V30 magnet that came with the amp. Darn it, I really did want to give that broken in V30 a chance with my 2204 build and Strat, even out of curiosity - I wasn't expecting to love it but, who know till ya try.

Celestion has 2 Neo-Dymium speakers who's total speaker depth are smaller by at least 1/2" inch which very well will allow room for the El34 pair ( I can elongate the holes a bit if necessary).

A fellow offered to trade his V-Type Neo for one of my V30's but, I'm really not finding many sound clip of that speaker, and not with a JCM800 2204/Strat set up that I will be using. I have however, listened to lots of clip of the Neo Creamback and do like what I'm hearing when paired with the 2204 type amp.

There are not enough clips of the V-Type Neo to make a good judgement of how will it will perform with a 2204/Strat doing classic hard rock of the 70's and 80's like I mostly do with my bands (this is for live use, mostly).

If a few of you could describe what you believe are the differences between them and how you think the V-type Neo would do in covering Classis hard rock of the 70's and 80's with a Strat, that would be very helpful. I'm not stuck on any particular type of speaker , just would like to avoid any extremes such as highs that are too rolled off, lows that are too loose, midrange that is too honky or scooped, and highs that are too pronounced causing fizzy's or fatigued. I do like a little of the upper midrange highlighted though, like in a Blackback, enough to give solos some good bite and articulation. I thought the Neo Creamback was almost there in covering most of that description - versatile for that application.

Thanks alot, hopeing to get this one right, or close.

Best,
Phil D.
I’m only one person (most of the time)
pjd3

Re: Difference between - Neo Creamback and Neo V-Type

Post by pjd3 »

I probably should mention that this donor combo that I'm building the 2204 amp in is a very small open back. (Carvin V3M combo). The back panel is open about 4-5 inches along the bottom of the back panel, not in the middle.

Thanks
Best,
Phil d
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Post a picture of the problem. Maybe someone has a shoehorn for you.
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

There is no problem.

Its about the tone of a speaker.

Phil d
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Is it possible to make a new baffle and move the speaker out of the way.

With respect, 10thtx
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks 10thTx,

I suppose that is totally a possibility,

It just seems like that would take 10x more planning and work than either drilling two more tube socket holes or replacing a speaker. This week I'm going to look at the chassis real good to see if there is anymore electronically sound positions for a couple of EL34's. Its an easy job bringing the chassis into work and drilling out some new holes for tubes.

Thank you,
Best,
Phil
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks 10thTx,

I suppose that is totally a possibility,

It just seems like that would take 10x more planning and work than either drilling two more tube socket holes or replacing a speaker. This week I'm going to look at the chassis real good to see if there is anymore electronically sound positions for a couple of EL34's. Its an easy job bringing the chassis into work and drilling out some new holes for tubes.

Thank you,
Best,
Phil
bepone

Post by bepone »

neo creamback is a great speaker, also for open back cabs, combos..at the beginning sound is bad, but after coming great
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Cut the grille and front mount the speaker.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Hey Reeltard, I have crumbled under the pressure so, yep.

The speaker baffle is easily removable by 6 screws which will make it easy to insert a 3/4" baffle spacer of sorts in between that.

Between gaining 3/4" and getting a speaker with less depth that should make plenty of room for a pair of EL34's in the back of the chassis where I "Holedozed" a couple of 1.125 dia socket holes.

I tried looking for other parts of the chassis to mount the EL34 pair but, there wasn't any reasonable place - any other location would probably have been a heat hazard or EM hazard of some inevitable sort.

So, although your recommendation was at first a painful consideration, I now believe it is the truly best, and maybe only viable option.

Thanks,

Best,
Phil D.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I have seen this one before. Kt66s in shallow Bluesbreakers. :/

It's going to rock though. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.