Possible repair

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Possible repair

Post by angelodp »

Hi, I have two old Jensens that came with an Airline amp. One is a C12Q and the other is C12NA. I am getting some possible cone rub and the bass notes are reverberating strangely. There is a muffled feedback on both speakers. Would it be advisable to put and very thin bead of clear silicone at the dust caps to create a bit more stability. I say that as the seals seem like there may be some separating.
Attachments
IMG_5025.jpg
IMG_5024.jpg
IMG_5023.jpg
IMG_5022.jpg
imjonwain

Re: Possible repair

Post by imjonwain »

I can't advise on if that might help the issue or not but I can say for an adhesive I would lean toward trying surehold sureflex adhesive if anything. I used sureflex and single cuts of toilet paper to repair the surround/seal & cone of the speaker in an old Teisco Champ clone I got with a shredded speaker. At least for that low power amp it held up really well and sounded good to me even at max volume. YMMV

Could always get them reconed by PMR or something but maybe rolling the dice on a repair is worth a shot first?
https://tfrelectronics.com/
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

OK what is PMR please?

Ange
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Have you tested them separately to determine which one [or both] is causing the issue? Or plugged the amp into another speaker[s] to hear what the amp is doing?

I've not repaired or reconed speakers but I have had an issue with excessive 'cone cry' and received advice that ranged from 'the speaker is crap' to painting the cone with dope to get rid of the cry - yikes!!! The manufacturer suggested reseating and paying strict attention to torque on the screws to be consistent and also not warp the basket. Reseated and issue went away.

Russ