2x12 Speaker cabinet for JM sig and plexi

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Matt117

2x12 Speaker cabinet for JM sig and plexi

Post by Matt117 »

Hey all,

I have two wgs et65s I’d like to use for both my 50watt plexi and my jm sig clone 100watt.

I am thinking oval back opening on it, but am
Curious what the rest of you have had luck with running a 2x12 with these two Styles of amps?

As in, which cab company, design and opening.

Honestly I love the looks of port city’s os 2x12 wave cabinet.

Thanks
xtian

Re: 2x12 Speaker cabinet for JM sig and plexi

Post by xtian »

I like the option of a convertible back. I've gone from open to closed a couple times.

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar/ ... aditional/
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I have a 1x12 w/ oval cutout back panel loaded w/ an WGS ET65—it sounds great with everything I’ve thrown at it. I do not have a plexi style amp. The 18watt sounds great.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I prefer a closed back but I'm with @xtian on this - convertible to see what you like in the space you're in. Zilla makes OS cabs - I've copied their Fatbaby 1x12 and a low volumes with an EVM 12L it out low ends a 1960B with GB's.

Russ
bepone

Post by bepone »

Matt117 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 pm As in, which cab company, design and opening.
not possible to answer, dimensions of the box and speakers used are critical. random box for random driver will sound - random.
cab is more important than the speaker.
oval back cannot be random or cut how user likes.
good sounding box need a lot of experiments.

who wants to know more, more info here . this guy did zillion experiments so I don't need to explain nothing further :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eeC1XyZxYs
Matt117

Post by Matt117 »

bepone wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:48 am
Matt117 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 pm As in, which cab company, design and opening.
not possible to answer, dimensions of the box and speakers used are critical. random box for random driver will sound - random.
cab is more important than the speaker.
oval back cannot be random or cut how user likes.

who wants to know more, more info here . this guy did zillion experiments so I don't need to explain nothing further :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eeC1XyZxYs
I watched that last week, really it seemed to show there is not a lot of huge differences.
At least thats what I took away. The vox cross members made a bigger difference. The opening in the back took awhile before it was noticeable.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

bepone wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:48 am
I've contacted Jim Lill about his testing apparatus as I'm 80 miles east of him.

I enjoy experimenting and have built 25+ cabs in the pursuit of knowledge / fun & tone. There are many misconceptions about guitar vs. HiFi speakers and the calculations for HiFi don't work well for guitar as the HiFi rig is a linear system [faithful reproduction of signal - little or no coloration of signal] the guitar rig is a non-linear system as the amp and speakers/cab all color the signal by design.

For instance - I thought for years that the 1960B 4x12 was the 12" king of low end - an assumption that was crushed by the Fatbaby 1x12 cabs I built copying Zilla's design with an EVM12L. I recently built a 4x8 cab with drivers that have a similar freq response to the EVM12L with an adaptable back section that can slide in and out [an additional 10"] extending the internal volume significantly. This cab out low ended the Fatbaby cab so much that I had to cut low freqs limit the floor vibration - all at low volumes. I'm looking at flat response reference mics to determine exactly what the volume adjustment brings to the table.

95% of my playing is in a townhouse at low volume. Most if not all of the increased low end is useless in a band context but really enjoyable at home.

All of this is a really long rant that can be summed up by saying - you'll need to try a bunch of cabs [same speaker would be best] to see which one fits your taste and needs.

Russ
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

My wonderland overdrive has a 2x12 vertical cab with an oval back. Both built by amp nation.

It's definitely different from a closed back or my twin combo. And the distance from the wall makes a difference. I can actually "tube" the midrange response with the distance from the wall. I am also highly surprised at the low end tightness and response. Not a marshall sound, more of a defined response that really supports the clarity of the mid and high end. And I've played this stack enough to get passed the honeymoon. I doubt anyone would be disappointed with a cab like that.
20190225_132337.jpg
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

dragonbat13 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:30 am My wonderland overdrive has a 2x12 vertical cab with an oval back. Both built by amp nation.

It's definitely different from a closed back or my twin combo. And the distance from the wall makes a difference. I can actually "tube" the midrange response with the distance from the wall. I am also highly surprised at the low end tightness and response. Not a marshall sound, more of a defined response that really supports the clarity of the mid and high end. And I've played this stack enough to get passed the honeymoon. I doubt anyone would be disappointed with a cab like that. 20190225_132337.jpg
Hi dragonbat13, you did a great job,

I, after building some JM/Wonderland I would like to build a JM/Wonderland with overdrive.
I searched on TAG for a schematic and/or a layout to be able to build it but I didn't find anything. Can you suggest where to look?

Thanks and a hug.
Franco
franco mezzalira
neskor

Post by neskor »

maybe Bloomfield will be similar ;)
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

neskor wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:29 pm maybe Bloomfield will be similar ;)
Hi neskor,

I don't know if TR Bloomfield is a JM/Wonderland with OD, if so I'd like to build one. Can you give me more information?

a hug

Franco
franco mezzalira
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

jazzbass wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:37 am
Hi neskor,

I don't know if TR Bloomfield is a JM/Wonderland with OD, if so I'd like to build one. Can you give me more information?

a hug

Franco
Ciao Franco, everything you need to know about the Bloomfield drive is here.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34565

Lots of great info there.

Cheers!

Guy (Gaetano)
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Guy77 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:07 pm
jazzbass wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:37 am
Hi neskor,

a hug

Franco
Ciao Franco, everything you need to know about the Bloomfield drive is here.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34565

Lots of great info there.

Cheers!

Guy (Gaetano)
Hi Guy,

I have read and re-read the discussion you pointed out to me several times, I assure you that for me it is a discussion full of very useful information for each topic discussed. I'll try listening to Youtube demos of the two amps to convince myself of their resemblance.

Thanks, a hug
Franco
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi Guy,

Hai ragione al 100% :D
You are 100% right :D

Franco
franco mezzalira
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

jazzbass wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:21 pm
dragonbat13 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:30 am My wonderland overdrive has a 2x12 vertical cab with an oval back. Both built by amp nation.

It's definitely different from a closed back or my twin combo. And the distance from the wall makes a difference. I can actually "tube" the midrange response with the distance from the wall. I am also highly surprised at the low end tightness and response. Not a marshall sound, more of a defined response that really supports the clarity of the mid and high end. And I've played this stack enough to get passed the honeymoon. I doubt anyone would be disappointed with a cab like that. 20190225_132337.jpg
Hi dragonbat13, you did a great job,

I, after building some JM/Wonderland I would like to build a JM/Wonderland with overdrive.
I searched on TAG for a schematic and/or a layout to be able to build it but I didn't find anything. Can you suggest where to look?

Thanks and a hug.
Franco
I didnt build that amp. It was built by Amplifier Nation.