Spruce 1x10 cabinet

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Re: Spruce 1x10 cabinet

Post by ViperDoc »

A floating baffle is still secured to the cabinet, but not along all for sides of the baffle itself. It is attached in a way that allows it to vibrate more freely. You would not capture it on all four sides in a rabbet, that would have major buzz problems and be somewhat decoupled from the cabinet box. Attach the baffle along two opposing sides, or at all four corners with open/non-tight sides.

Check out this link:

https://www.soundsriteaudio.com/blog/-w ... ng-baffle/
Just plug it in, man.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

It’s my understanding that the baffle is attached on only 2 opposing sides.

Seems like it would rattle if left truly floating in a rabbit groove.
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

brewdude wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 pm It’s my understanding that the baffle is attached on only 2 opposing sides.

Seems like it would rattle if left truly floating in a rabbit groove.
Yes it would and that is why i am having trouble undersrand why it is called "floating baffle". There seem to be a little confusion.
Anyway, the rabbit groove I was talking about just came out from my woodworker prospective, so just forget about it!
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

The narrow panel cabinet's baffle is secured to the top and bottom valences with a screw in each corner. I put a rubber washer between the baffle and the valence. Let me find a few photos - one I did in plywood. I used a 15" speaker on this one.
f602527376.jpg
f602069728.jpg
Attachments
f530164992.jpg
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

What a nice looking cabinet.
What colour is that?
I m asking, those rubber washers, will they attenuate a lot of the vibrations going from the baffle to the cabinet?
Last edited by Mikante on Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

[/quote]
I need to take a better look into this.
If i understand it correctly, you just let the baffle be in a rabbit hole type of channel inside the cabinet, no screws or glue whatsoever?
[/quote]

A floating baffle has two screws on either side of the baffle [or only top and bottom] holding it to the frame. This allows the unsecured sides to flex as the speakers push air. I've always been curious what the long term affects this has on the speaker frames. I'm a closed back fan and haven't ever run a floating baffle.

Russ
Mikante

Post by Mikante »

I m using a 1/2 birch plywood for the baffle, i highly doubt there s going to be any movement on the sides if it is secured with four screws on the top and bottom but i would never refer to this arrangement as “floating”.
I will leave this debatable matter to the professionals and build this cabinet with the baffle secured on two sides only, i m not calling it that, over my dead body :lol: