Union Jack cab build

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Geeze

Union Jack cab build

Post by Geeze »

I had an itch to do something weird but classy. Marshall's 60th gave me an idea to build a Union Jack cab. After studying the details on the jack - ratios between the stripes and alignments I decided to use maple for the 'white' stripes, red heart for - you guessed it - the red stripes and dye maple blue for the blue sections. RIT sapphire blue came the closest on the maple.

Stripe construction

Had to build a jig to cut the 30.96° angles - I did 31°, you'll need to forgive me. It will cut both sides of the angle by clamping the jig one side or the other.

The jack glued.

The blue bits glued in.

Sides and top trimmed up and finger jointed,

Dry fit.

I did my usual free hand route with a 1/32" tapered bit for the Marshall logo. Since the amp is a 1987 I thought it was appropriate. Sealed with gloss lacquer.

I cut chevrons for handles on the sides as I couldn't bring myself to put handles on - I hate covering up wood. I'm not real happy with them but they work and don't mash my fingers. The front is held on with Neodymium magnets.

I liked the design enough that I built another for a [someday] 45/100. I angled the top jack for visual interest and then trimmed it wrong and had to do the artful on the front plate to get the main stripe to line up.

Happy weekend!

Russ
Guy77

Re: Union Jack cab build

Post by Guy77 »

Beautiful work. Congrats!

Cheers

Guy
xtian

Post by xtian »

Wow, you cheeky monkey!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Geeze wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:01 pm Had to build a jig to cut the 30.96° angles - I did 31°, you'll need to forgive me.
IDK, you've allowed us to expect more of you. Still, too hard to give this a thumbs down. Really, it's very inventive. I think you've got something elegant there.
statorvane

Post by statorvane »

Very cool. Screams "Rule Britannia".
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Phil_S wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:16 am
Geeze wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:01 pm Had to build a jig to cut the 30.96° angles - I did 31°, you'll need to forgive me.
IDK, you've allowed us to expect more of you. Still, too hard to give this a thumbs down. Really, it's very inventive. I think you've got something elegant there.
Damn, and I thought holding .04° tolerance was doing really good with wood. I'll strive to do better. :lol:

Russ
bepone

Post by bepone »

a lot of work and very nice cab.. this "piping" around how it is now is slightly too big? :P
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Incredibly beautiful work of art! Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

With respect, 10thtx
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

Geeze wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:04 am
Phil_S wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:16 am
Damn, and I thought holding .04° tolerance was doing really good with wood. I'll strive to do better. :lol:
Russ
I don't know how you can keep a design like this in the mind's eye while building it. I'm certain, if I were to try this, I'd be making a lot of firewood. What you did was truly impressive.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Outstanding design and execution Geeze.
Palm out British salute.

D
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I don't know how you can keep a design like this in the mind's eye while building it. I'm certain, if I were to try this, I'd be making a lot of firewood. What you did was truly impressive.
There's the plan, the first steps, the 'Dammit, that didn't work' new plan then a few more steps, cussing & head scratching, a revised new plan [after looking at gasoline...] and more steps. They generally work out and most times the revised plan[s] make it better. Experimental creations require leaping before you see the net. If it doesn't work you can always burn it and deny it ever existed.

Russ
asphaltbouncer

Post by asphaltbouncer »

Amazing work!

What a talent.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Very, very cool!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Just noticed that I didn't put in any complete pics of the 1987 cab.

Russ
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Wow that looks stellar.

Well done.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!