Combo Amp Chassis Fixings

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Combo Amp Chassis Fixings

Post by Littlewyan »

I have a bluesbreaker style cabinet where the chassis effectively screws onto the back of the cabinet, straight into the wood. Because I've taken the chassis out a fair few times to tinker I've had to refill the holes where they've gotten loose. As a more permanent solution I was looking at adding these wood nut inserts, but am concerned the plywood sides aren't wide enough to cope with them. The sides are 18mm wide and these inserts are 8mm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Threaded-Flang ... 79&sr=8-16

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, did you have a solution or do you just simply refill the holes when needed?
pdf64

Re: Combo Amp Chassis Fixings

Post by pdf64 »

I think they should be fine.
I’ve seen much worse 2BA inserts that that in 60s and 70s Vox cabs.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

When I've used threaded style inserts with wood I epoxy them in place to strengthen [somewhat] the surrounding wood and to prevent unwanted rotation.

Russ
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

Yes, that’s what I do with the Vox inserts if they become loose.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Thanks guys I'll get some on order.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Just checked again, because of how the rear panel is the holes are nearer to the edge. The nut insert will end up being 3mm from the edge of the wood. Too close do you think?
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

If the hole is already in that position, I'd imagine there is enough material to hold the insert. Add a bit of epoxy if in doubt. If it breaks through at the narrowest point, you can always add a bit of epoxy to the edge of the baffle, but I'm doubtful you'll need to do that. Just be careful and work slowly at that spot.

I'm staring at a rule with my thumbnail on the 3mm line. I think it is enough, just not a generous distance.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Thanks Phil, I'll take my time with it. I've bought M4 screw inserts, they're only 10mm deep but there will be 6 of them, so I think it'll be fine.