Electro-Voice Speakers--NEW?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ViperDoc

Electro-Voice Speakers--NEW?

Post by ViperDoc »

Where do y'all who like Electro-Voice speakers actually buy them? I see they are hard to find. Are they out of production? Secret sources available? Any clones you like or would recommend? Thanks.
Just plug it in, man.
xtian

Re: Electro-Voice Speakers--NEW?

Post by xtian »

I have a genuine EV EVM-12S for sale. Or if you want a new production one, you'll have to get Eminence EM12 or their lightweight Neo version, the EM12N, which I like.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Blueboozer

Post by Blueboozer »

Sweetwater - Put your name in the hat and hurry up and wait

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ar-speaker
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Blueboozer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:55 am Sweetwater - Put your name in the hat and hurry up and wait

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ar-speaker
That's interesting, I have been looking into the new EVMs for a few weeks and up until a couple of days ago the only place globally that had any stock was Sweetwater but I can see it's now sold out there as well. I did try to buy but the do not ship worldwide. The stock for anywhere in Europe is expected for end of Feb to mid March, but there could be more delays. I just went and bought a vintage OEM from the 80s, my third in total. Easier than to keep waiting although I wanted to try the new
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

The gal I talked to from Sweetwater said there are four "reserved" by request, but they are expecting 15 inbound, though she couldn't confirm when they were actually expected, which puts my estimation in March territory. The Eminence EM12 looks like it could be as close a ticket as you can get. It has the EV-style 8-leg beveled basket, even. Might have to try that. I'm building a 50W #124 without OD right now. Not certain I'd need more than one 200W speaker in the cab, hey?
Just plug it in, man.
Roe

Post by Roe »

I placed one of the new evm 12ls in a 2x12 together with the em12n. the combo works well, the speakers sound similar indeed
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

This is a related but slightly different subject, but how critical do you believe the "D-style" cabinet selection is for getting the most out of the Dumble-style speaker? By that, I mean slightly larger 112 cab with the oval back cutout, not sure if there's a preference for the baffle (floating vs. non; plywood vs. solid pine)?
Just plug it in, man.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I swear that a Thiele is the best guitar cabinet. If you can find a 2x12 pair with EVs you will rule the World
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

Reeltarded wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:06 pm I swear that a Thiele is the best guitar cabinet. If you can find a 2x12 pair with EVs you will rule the World
Thanks for the recommendation, although my limited internet search produces little to no evidence of the 212 variant. Do you know anyone who makes them? The closest I can find is a Dr. Z-Best 212 touted as a "lightweight Thiele design". No idea "how Thiele" that cab is. I know Thiele cabs are ported. But in order to call it a Thiele, it needs to be ported "like" a Thiele. What is that?

EDIT: Excuse my newness to this subject, but it appears that "Thiele" may have become synonymous with "ported" over the years and may not currently reflect the original designs that were tailored for the EV12L speaker. Mesa seems to offer a "Thiele" cab but obviously does not ship them with EVs, so..... ?

Talbany posted here in 2011 as having played an "Alf (Hermida Audio?)" cab that blew another Thiele cab away that belonged to Tony King. I also found recommendations about Glaswerks cabinets sounding much better than other Thiele cabs. It seems that the ability to isolate an actual Thiele cabinet with an actual EV12L speaker is the only combination that guarantees the intended result. The only "ported" cabs I've played are Forte designs, which are more of an open-side design than ported.

Who makes "actual Thiele cabs" that y'all like best? Thanks.
Just plug it in, man.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

https://www.clairbrothers.com/

The 80s/90s line arrays (and side-fill) and floor monitors were 4x12 and 2x12.

A TL finishes your speaker problems, forever. Clair made more actual spec TLs than anyone on the planet. Call them.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

A 2x12 is simply double size of a 1x or half the Q. It's a design specifically tuned for EVM speaker, though one can within limits stretch and shrink, adjusting the outside dimensions so long as the porting and interior volume match specifications. And it can adapt to other speakers with known specifications and some engineering. I've a 2x a local cabinet builder built that's somewhat taller and thinner than the EV's canonical TL806 plans describe. Also have 1x designed by Fane for their Studio 12L.

Perhaps search what you seek here :: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21160.

dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Have had decent luck with warehouse guitar speakers.
Link to their EV type speaker

https://wgs4.com/12-wgs12l-200-watts
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

dcribbs1412 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:34 pm Have had decent luck with warehouse guitar speakers.
Link to their EV type speaker

https://wgs4.com/12-wgs12l-200-watts
So have I, don't know why I didn't think of them; thanks for the recommendation. The samples on their website sound quite good.
Just plug it in, man.
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

I wasn't an EVM12L fan until I plugged into a Rivera 2x12 'Theile' cab. I've built several TL-806 cabs [EV's design for the EVM12L] and for the size they are a great cab. I've heard over the years that they keep up with a 4x12 - not in my experience. I copied one of Zilla Cabs designs after a discussion on cab resonance - the Fatbaby - it was my first experience with an OS cab and I was very impressed with the low end response. Great for the low volume / townhouse use - I haven't gotten to blast it in a large room just the iso bathroom.

BTW I have 2 of the 'new / recent production' EVM12L.

Russ