Help identifying cabinet

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bart0404

Help identifying cabinet

Post by bart0404 »

Hi amp Gurus, here for some info/advice. I was driving and for real i saw this amp sitting on the curb for the trash. A Crate GT1200H and 4x10 cab! I knocked on their door and asked they said 'take it'. maybe not the greatest but for free? Why not. I brought it home, cleaned it up, the head turned right on and worked. The speaker cab was ua bit rough tho. I checked and the speakers all appear intact. 4x 8 ohm speakers. The back panel was off and i will have to get myself a cord connector kit but it looks salvagable. I have several nice amps already but figured for free was worth trying to salvage this. Pics attached. Anyway - can anyone help me identify if this is the original cabinet that came with the head? Is there a place I can get replacement handles for the sides? Should i cut some MDF/plywood to make a replacment back panel or just rig up a wiring jack for the head? Just looking for advince/opinions. I know its not the most popular brand or beloved model etc, just wanting to salvage it to a working practice amp/spare etc to have if my friends come over to jam etc. Thanks for any assistance!
Attachments
IMG_20230115_130257.jpg
IMG_20230115_130251.jpg
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Help identifying cabinet

Post by pompeiisneaks »

To know more about the speakers you'll need the speaker codes. I think they usually are on the front of the speaker. You'll want to remove one speaker from the cabinet enough to get an idea of the manufacturer, that may help narrow down the cabinet maker.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Geeze

Post by Geeze »

Based on the plastic corner protectors I'd say the cab is Crate as well - doesn't matter if it is matching just that it works. You might want to measure the speakers - I'm thinking its a 4x12 based on the head width and the speaker spacing, if so they came with celestion 70 / 80 speakers.

Russ
bart0404

Post by bart0404 »

Thanks those who answered. I did check the speakers and saw they are original crates all 4 of them. My next task is to test each one make sure nothings blown and custom cut a back panel to put a new wiring harness on for the speaker cord. I think then it will be ready to use again. the tolex needs a little repair around some edges and want to get new side handles. Are there custom crate ones with the odd shape or just get some new ones and retro fit? Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_20230117_175658.jpg
IMG_20230117_175625.jpg