CNC cutting 1x12 cabs

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guy77

CNC cutting 1x12 cabs

Post by Guy77 »

Thought I would show some pics of a 1x12 cabinet I built with my Shapeoko3 XL CNC machine.
I had someone program my cnc software to do all the Blind Finger jointed cuts and then I ran each piece of 3/4 in Birch plywood through the CNC,
I attached a pic of how the sides look when they get cut as well. That was a Mesa Boogie style Bamboo grill that was tricky to work with. It bulges out from the front when you bend it. Its like bending wood used to start a fire lol.

I already want a bigger machine now so I can cut all the sides in one pass!
If anyone thinks of getting one get the biggest you can fit in your garage.

G.
IMG_20230217_180218_903.png
CNC_Cuts.jpg
IMG_20230217_180218_781.png
Stephen1966

Re: CNC cutting 1x12 cabs

Post by Stephen1966 »

Guy77 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:40 pm Thought I would show some pics of a 1x12 cabinet I built with my Shapeoko3 XL CNC machine.
I had someone program my cnc software to do all the Blind Finger jointed cuts and then I ran each piece of 3/4 in Birch plywood through the CNC,
I attached a pic of how the sides look when they get cut as well. That was a Mesa Boogie style Bamboo grill that was tricky to work with. It bulges out from the front when you bend it. Its like bending wood used to start a fire lol.

G.

CNC_Cuts.jpg

Can you steam the bamboo grill "cloth"?
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Stephen1966 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:25 am
Guy77 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:40 pm Thought I would show some pics of a 1x12 cabinet I built with my Shapeoko3 XL CNC machine.

G.

CNC_Cuts.jpg

Can you steam the bamboo grill "cloth"?
Hi Stephen. I used the method shown here in this video below but I may try steaming it next time. I just saw a pic of a Mesa amp with this grill and they actually used black screws with wide heads at sides and corners of the bamboo grill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRbnFjrOYYs

Guy
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Very nice!

I use my CNC to cut all of the parts of my cabs and headshells too. Beats the crap out of measuring for a layout every time I make a cab. The ease of repeatability is the best feature. Rough cutting is much easier than the finish cut that the machine does. And let's not forget about the overall time comparison... Hand cut vs CNC. No brainier.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

dorrisant wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:48 pm Very nice!

I use my CNC to cut all of the parts of my cabs and headshells too. Beats the crap out of measuring for a layout every time I make a cab. The ease of repeatability is the best feature. Rough cutting is much easier than the finish cut that the machine does. And let's not forget about the overall time comparison... Hand cut vs CNC. No brainier.
Yes I agree!. I rough cut each side and back and front of the cabinet and then let the CNC do all the finger joints and other required cuts. Its a real time saver. This machine came along at the perfect time for me. My dad use to make my cabinets by hand but he is turning 85 now and those days are behind us and its time for him to enjoy his garden and wine cellar!
I will get a larger one this summer to do more sides of my cabs and heads at the same time. Having to load the CNC fewer times will be a big time saver!

Cheers

Guy
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I am intending to figure out the steps to execute finger joints on my CNC. I may be able to mill the mating edges by clamping them with the proper offset and milling across both edges at the same time. I would have to rework something mething to stub up the boards through the spoilboard. Idk... I may pick up an X carve from a friend. I could use one end of the useable area for a setup for this. Maybe.:roll:
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

dorrisant wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:32 am I am intending to figure out the steps to execute finger joints on my CNC. I may be able to mill the mating edges by clamping them with the proper offset and milling across both edges at the same time. I would have to rework something mething to stub up the boards through the spoilboard. Idk... I may pick up an X carve from a friend. I could use one end of the useable area for a setup for this. Maybe.:roll:
X Carves are great too.

G.
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

Think you can CNC cut a cabinet like this:
Jetsons_amp.png
Shown with optional wireless antenna.
Don't these CNC machines cost something in the 6 figures depending on size ?
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

LOUDthud wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:47 am Think you can CNC cut a cabinet like this:
Jetsons_amp.png
Shown with optional wireless antenna.
Don't these CNC machines cost something in the 6 figures depending on size ?
I really like that look. That is very cool!
Yes you can definitely cut that with a cnc. Just need to learn the Fusion 360 or Carbide Create software. The later one is easier to learn.
You can get a nice 4 ft x 2.5 ft CNC for $2800.
Here are some company's to consider

onefinitycnc.com/
Carbide3d.com
Xcarve

Cheers
G
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

LOUDthud wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:47 am Don't these CNC machines cost something in the 6 figures depending on size ?
If it is for occasional use or maybe more often, look for a maker space that has a CNC room. I live in Baltimore and here's what is available at Open Works:
https://www.openworksbmore.org/machines-tools/
Our digital fabrication shop has advanced large-format machines that can cut through plywood, plastic, and soft metals with hair-splitting accuracy. Some of the furniture throughout Open Works is built on our own CNC routers – we’d be happy to teach you how to make your own!
1 60-watt Boss Laser cutters: bed size 35″ x 23″
1 70-watt Boss Laser cutter: bed size 35″ x 23″
2 100-watt Boss Laser cutters: bed size 54″ x 35″in
2 ShopBot PRS Alpha CNC routers: bed size 48″ x 96″ in
1 Laguna SmartShop CNC router: bed size 48″ x 96″ (Vacuum Bed)

They require you to complete some training, and you pay a modest fee for each course, maybe $70-$85 +/- for a 3 hour session. It typically takes two courses to get authorized to use the equipment. For each course completed, you receive one day pass. A day pass is $20 and that gives you access to all tools, machines, and work areas for which you have qualified. I've been qualified for the wood shop and I think it is a real bargain. They've got a 12" jointer and 20" planer. These are tools I would never buy due to price and no place to put them. It's a great deal! More and more communities are developing spaces like this. Many will sell you a monthly "membership" so you can go there as often as you like. I've been there a few times. What I noticed is that during the week day, daytime hours, not many people are there. It starts to get busy around 4:00PM, which is no surprise.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

If you can create the shape in any drawing program, then you can cut it in the CNC. I find the way that it can accurately cut arcs and circles to be far easier that to lay it out by hand and hope you cut exactly on the lines. Because I have dust collection set up, I run it all the time indoors, so inclement weather doesn't make a difference... No waiting for good weather to do anything.

Btw... That looks a lot like the Electronic amps that were around a decade of so ago.

I have about $3k in mine.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Cheaters! :D