Dumble Aluminum Trim Question

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

TimDude

Dumble Aluminum Trim Question

Post by TimDude »

I’m in the final stages of a Dumble Style Cab build. I’m curious if there’s a specific way to mount the three pieces of aluminum trim pictured below. Do I affix them to the cabinet itself, or do I affix it to the grill cloth frame that goes in the middle. I know there are typically two holes towards the top of the vertical aluminum trim pieces that are screwed to the cab itself, and I’m not worried about those.
Attachments
B1CCA93A-5C40-44AC-8EB0-3AFB2309D03B.jpeg
jabguit

Re: Dumble Aluminum Trim Question

Post by jabguit »

attach to the cab
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

jabguit wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:49 am attach to the cab
Thanks! Are there any tricks to ensure that the top horizontal aluminum bar aligns well with the vertical bars? Or do I just proceed with caution?
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

TimDude wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:06 pm
jabguit wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:49 am attach to the cab
Thanks! Are there any tricks to ensure that the top horizontal aluminum bar aligns well with the vertical bars? Or do I just proceed with caution?
When you prepare the top aluminium bar (screwed to the top of the baffle plate) take account of the extra width you will get when you screw the vertical pieces in the sides of the cab. Even tolex has a little "give" and this suede type of covering will have even more. You might find you need an extra millimeter or so to make it full width. The vertical and the top (baffle) bar are easy to align when your chassis is fixed and screwed in position. Just sit them right up against the face plate and fix. You do the vertical pieces first, then the bottom against those, then the top with the baffle plate screwed in first as well. Go slow. :D

Also, it's a good idea to staple the edges of the covering down on the inside, especially in the area where the chassis is going in and out. When the chassis catches the edge, it will want to lift and pull away and you might struggle to get your chassis out.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

Thanks a lot for that detailed response. I got the job done today. It looks great! My ODS #124 clone is officially finished. I'm so excited!
EdG

Post by EdG »

where can I find info on the Aluminum trim type, thickness and length? Is there a drawing somewhere? Screws etc.?

Thank you!
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

EdG wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 pm where can I find info on the Aluminum trim type, thickness and length? Is there a drawing somewhere? Screws etc.?

Thank you!
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 28#p451028
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

EdG wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 pm where can I find info on the Aluminum trim type, thickness and length? Is there a drawing somewhere? Screws etc.?

Thank you!
Sorry for the slow reply. I went to Home Depot, they sell aluminum there and they had 1/8” x 3/4” x 36” strips of it. Only a few dollars per unit. I just bought some screws that looked like they would sit flush with the top. I used sheet metal screws. They look great. I made the cabinet, then wrapped it. Then I made the frame for the grill cloth after having measured the opening with the aluminum rested in place. I was basically jumping back and forth between the grill cloth frame, and the aluminum frame pieces, measuring then cutting then measuring then cutting again. The aluminum is pretty cheap. If you screw it up, you can buy a new 36” or 48” piece for a few dollars. I was super intimidated when I first approached the project simply because of the fancy aluminum trim. It ended up being one of the least stressful and easiest parts of the entire process.
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

Thank you!
Furthermore, I didn’t actually find much or any information on the aluminum trim. I just winged it and I would say I nailed it. Use a common countersink in a drill to get the screws flush with the top.

https://imgur.com/onQNtaj
EdG

Post by EdG »

Thanks so much for the info!! :D
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

What bothers me most is how to make such clean & precise cuts?

Nice cab, by the way ... 8)
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

ChopSauce wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:45 am What bothers me most is how to make such clean & precise cuts?

Thanks! If you’re concerned about making clean precise cuts of aluminum trim, please know I didn’t use anything fancy. It was simply a hack saw with a bit of patience and extra care. I did a practice cut and a practice filing first. I actually cut them a millimeter or two too long and then I filed them down a bit. Sorry for my slow replies, I was out of the country for a bit.
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

EdG wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:48 am Thanks so much for the info!! :D
You’re welcome!
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

ChopSauce wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:45 am What bothers me most is how to make such clean & precise cuts?

Table saw!

Looks great OP!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
TimDude

Post by TimDude »

amplifiednation wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:13 am Looks great OP!
Thanks! And you would know, it’s one of your chassis! Thanks for selling those in this community.