Dumble Aluminum Trim Question

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Re: Dumble Aluminum Trim Question

Post by ChopSauce »

TimDude wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:11 pm
ChopSauce wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:45 am What bothers me most is how to make such clean & precise cuts?

Nice cab, by the way ... 8)
Thanks! If you’re concerned about making clean precise cuts of aluminum trim, please know I didn’t use anything fancy. It was simply a hack saw with a bit of patience and extra care. I did a practice cut and a practice filing first. I actually cut them a millimeter or two too long and then I filed them down a bit. Sorry for my slow replies, I was out of the country for a bit.
Thank you very much. There was nothing urgent about that. Just my inextinguishable curiosity about fabrication techniques ... :?

I appreciate even more the work you put into that cab ... 8)

@amplifiednation : table saw?
(thanks by the way)
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

ChopSauce wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:05 pm
TimDude wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:11 pm
ChopSauce wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:45 am What bothers me most is how to make such clean & precise cuts?

Nice cab, by the way ... 8)
Thanks! If you’re concerned about making clean precise cuts of aluminum trim, please know I didn’t use anything fancy. It was simply a hack saw with a bit of patience and extra care. I did a practice cut and a practice filing first. I actually cut them a millimeter or two too long and then I filed them down a bit. Sorry for my slow replies, I was out of the country for a bit.
Thank you very much. There was nothing urgent about that. Just my inextinguishable curiosity about fabrication techniques ... :?

I appreciate even more the work you put into that cab ... 8)

@amplifiednation : table saw?
(thanks by the way)
If you have the workshop space a table saw is an invaluable investment. You might only find yourself making one cab a year, but your wifelet will have you down there every other weekend making shelves, doors, cabinets, stairs, pergolas, and sundry lean-tos. Ask me how I know :lol:
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Well, actually I know what a table saw is, but I was lazily looking for details, about the blade you should use for aluminium, notably. I've been told you can machine aluminium with a router and woodworking bits but I'm not sure the same applies with any saw blade.

I should have been more specific but would have enjoyed reading about any detail amplifednation would have had the time and will to expose here.

That been written, I should point that my workshop is almost all dedicated to metalworking and mechanics so it is not that much a "safe" place for pieces of wood, but the usual sacrificial ones ... :?
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

ChopSauce wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:35 am Well, actually I know what a table saw is, but I was lazily looking for details, about the blade you should use for aluminium, notably. I've been told you can machine aluminium with a router and woodworking bits but I'm not sure the same applies with any saw blade.

I should have been more specific but would have enjoyed reading about any detail amplifednation would have had the time and will to expose here.

That been written, I should point that my workshop is almost all dedicated to metalworking and mechanics so it is not that much a "safe" place for pieces of wood, but the usual sacrificial ones ... :?
You mean something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tenryu-AC-25580D ... 94&sr=8-14. I think Taylor was talking about how you cut the boards precise and square.
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Dedicated saw blades, of course ... thanks!