70s Fender 1x15 cabinet - looking for info

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gui_tarzan

70s Fender 1x15 cabinet - looking for info

Post by gui_tarzan »

This appears to be a 1970s cabinet based on the construction and visual feel but I can't find any others like it online. An image search didn't pull up the same, though I can find all sorts of 2x15 and Rumble combo amps that look similar. The previous owner butchered the input jack hole bad enough that I got some new plywood and made a new back cover. The original jack plate wasn't there so I put what I had on it. It has a square magnet Eminence speaker but I forgot to grab the numbers from it and really don't want to take the back off again right now to see what they are. My main interest is in the cabinet ID. It didn't have casters on it when I got it so I put some on to make it more easily movable. It plays fine through my guitar amp but my low bass notes make it flubbery. I don't think it's a bass speaker but it is ported at the bottom with an angled plywood baffle.

Any ideas of the vintage, model, type, etc?
Attachments
IMG_20230311_103252137.jpg
IMG_20230311_103237323.jpg
IMG_20230311_103200227.jpg
IMG_20230311_103147154.jpg
--Jim

"He's like a new set of strings, he just needs to be stretched a bit."
Stevem

Re: 70s Fender 1x15 cabinet - looking for info

Post by Stevem »

I must say that I don’t think this type of cabinet ever really Was in the Fender line.
Those spike nuts that mount the speaker are a dead giveaway to me.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

I'm 99.99% sure it's a Fender. I put those in because the previous owner put four, just four, nuts and hex head bolts in it.
--Jim

LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

The screw pattern on the back doesn't look right to me. Are there any screws that are missing and just don't show in the photo ? Is there any black over-spray on the inside of the cabinet ? Real Fender cabinets aren't painted with a brush.
gui_tarzan

Post by gui_tarzan »

No brush paint marks, I will have to pull the back off (again) and see about overspray. I forgot to take pics of it before I put it back on. I replaced all of the existing screws with trim rings and don't have the actual rounded head philips screws yet.

I guess it doesn't matter in the big picture, it's not a clean, pristine cab to begin with but it is definitely not homemade. Not unless the maker was a cabinet maker with all the right equipment.
--Jim