Speaker repair- seam sealer

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Speaker repair- seam sealer

Post by angelodp »

In some instances I have been able to do small tear repairs to speakers with a stuff called K-Kote seam Sealer Kanyon industries. It works quite well with very thin tissue, like what you get with a shirt or sweater as packing. I can no longer find this item and I wonder if anyone out there knows the formulation of this product and could suggest an alternative. It comes out of the tubes as a clear amber glue like substance with a strong odor. It brushes on easily and dries to a tough and pliable thin coat.
maxkracht

Re: Speaker repair- seam sealer

Post by maxkracht »

Haven't heard of the stuff you are talking about but antique electronic supply sells a toxic clear/amber liquid called "Service Cement" meant for speaker repair. It has a rubber cement kind of odor if I remember correctly. Haven't used it in a few years. Lately I have been using "Aleene's original tacky glue" for small rips. It comes out like a tacky, slightly thicker, PVA white glue kinda thing, but hardens clear and rubbery. Has plenty of flex after it dries.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Max, thanks that sounds good.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I repaired an old alnico Jensen that somehow had a bed rail shoved through the cone. It wasnt a clean tear and was missing a big chunk. I used layers of tissue paper and thinned down Elmer's glue. It worked well and the speaker sounded fine
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Yes, tried that approach as well. This seam Kote stuff works so well, I am trying to replace this old tube of it.

Thanks A
cbass

Post by cbass »

Sorry. I'll stay in the garage where I belong. I can't help but go off topic but while I'm here sounds like you're looking for a solvent based adhesive. Maybe contact cement has similar properties to the stuff you were using?

https://www.amazon.com/00271-Weldwood-O ... 3912&psc=1
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

cbass wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:17 am Maybe contact cement has similar properties to the stuff you were using?
For contact cement to work as intended, you need to add glue to both things you want to attach, wait a bit for it to get tacky, then contact.

Rubber cement can be applied like regular glue. The "service cement" I recommended is some kind of special rubber cement. I don't know what makes it special... Perhaps it is a Ph thing? Maybe it is just more durable long term on something that vibrates? I believe there are several chemically smilier products that are designed for speaker use. I would assume K-Kote is one of those.
cbass

Post by cbass »

I work with different adhesives a lot. Certainly doesn't make me an expert. But if you can look at the hazmat labels on products or just find out what's recommended for cleanup or thinning. That will tell you a lot about compatibility or similarities between glues.
The contact cement I posted is neoprene based and I belive will cut with toluene or xylene. It still works as a one sided adhesive but is permanent if applied to both surfaces like filling in a tear between paper. Anyway I can only go by what the op is describing. Rubber cement is clear contact cement is amber/milky and has a stronger odor than rubber cement both will remain quite tacky and can build up thin layers.
In short Just go with what max recommended
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

cbass wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:08 pm It still works as a one sided adhesive but is permanent if applied to both surfaces like filling in a tear between paper.
I didn't know that. Thought it was like super 77 where you have to wait the perfect amount of time then you get one shot to attach both sides. Couldn't find any data sheet on the seam sealer stuff. I'm guessing any of these options would work fine.
cbass

Post by cbass »

maxkracht wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:54 pm
cbass wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:08 pm It still works as a one sided adhesive but is permanent if applied to both surfaces like filling in a tear between paper.
I didn't know that. Thought it was like super 77 where you have to wait the perfect amount of time then you get one shot to attach both sides. Couldn't find any data sheet on the seam sealer stuff. I'm guessing any of these options would work fine.
Yes it works like that for a permanent adhesion but you can spray just one substrate for a temporary bond. Say like attaching a piece of sandpaper to machine sander or just a flat surface for sharpening.
cbass

Post by cbass »

And yes i agree any of the adhesives mentioned would work fine. Rubber cement like that in an bike innertube patch kit would probably work great also.
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

All good thanks guys.

A
didit

Post by didit »

Hello --

I have limited knowledge with adhesives and only repaired a few light paper-cone speakers. However, after asking my trusted crew for advice settled on this fabric glue, Speed Sew. It's inexpensive, available, and easy to use. Repairs I did worked out well and have so far proven durable. When patching to bridge a gap was required a small strip of cut from hemp rolling paper proved an excellent solution.

For what it's worth.

Best .. Ian