Question covering with one piece of Tolex

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

Question covering with one piece of Tolex

Post by donvan »

I have a simple question. I am going to cover a speaker cabinet with one piece of tolex so that I only have one seam. Since the I will need to coat all 4 sides with WilsonArt H2O, one side will be on the floor as I wait for the glue to get tacky. Having one side on the floor does not seem like a good idea. Any suggestions on how to do this step?
martin manning

Re: Question covering with one piece of Tolex

Post by martin manning »

Simple solution: I think you could support the cab on some spiky things, could literally be a board with some spikes driven through it (or snug fit through pre-drilled holes). File down the point so they don't divot the cab.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Exactly. Drive some nails (finish nails are best, with their small, roundish heads) into some scrap plywood. This serves as a stand for your work.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
chaccmgr

Post by chaccmgr »

or use painter's pyramids
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Or do it in two steps. You don't have to complete it all in a single step just because you're using a single piece. First cover the top and sides, then turn it over and apply the adhesive to the bottom and finish it up.

I'd work on and old towel or blanket to keep from scuffing the new tolex.
Glenn
donvan

Post by donvan »

These are all fantastic ideas. Thanks!
bepone

Post by bepone »

important, dont cut all the length exactly, snd glue only 3 sides and 4.th bottom next day.. because tolex is shrinking and if doing all on the same day, thre will be visible gap when glue hardens.. next day making 4.th side easily, cut on size and will be no gap
katopan

Post by katopan »

Clamp a couple of lengths of wood to the bench with a large block glued at the end of each or even a couple of cross lengths screwed on. Some set up so that it can support the cabinet from the inside while you work on the outside. Grab the baffle cut-out or other inside surfaces to turn it over as needed.
donvan

Post by donvan »

bepone wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:49 pm important, dont cut all the length exactly, snd glue only 3 sides and 4.th bottom next day.. because tolex is shrinking and if doing all on the same day, thre will be visible gap when glue hardens.. next day making 4.th side easily, cut on size and will be no gap
Does everyone agree that the one piece method will have a gap at the seam if I do it all in one day?

Bepone, I certainly do not want a gap. The issue I see with your suggestion is with the final seam. In the tutorials that I have watched, for the final seam, you overlap the material over where you started. Then you make a final cut. After that you lift up the end of the tolex and pull up the cut piece underneath so that you do not have any overlapping tolex. If I do it your way, the underneath piece will have already dried and I may not be able to remove it because it dried over night.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I usually rest the wet side of a cab on two pieces of wood... 1/2" or less square by about 20-24". It doesn't seem to ever affect the end product in a negative way. I do like the "bed of nails" idea and may switch to that if I ever change things up.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
donvan

Post by donvan »

Thanks for all of the tips. My first cabinet covering was a success. The finished product looks really nice. Surprisingly, the part that gave me the most trouble was cutting the seam. I used a new blade in my box knife and bared down hard on the cut but still had issues getting through both pieces of tolex. Because of that, the seam was not perfect but was still pretty good, There is a slight overlap but is hidden on the bottom.