Next up, grill cover

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

Next up, grill cover

Post by donvan »

I just completed the tolex job on my first speaker cab. Now I just need to do the speaker grill. I'd like to make it look like the attached image. Does anyone know the name of this type of grill material and where to buy it. Also, what is the white part called? Binding?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
martin manning

Re: Next up, grill cover

Post by martin manning »

The white stuff is piping. Check the amp parts suppliers (Mojo, Amplified Parts/AES) for that and the grill cloth pattern you are looking for.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

donvan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 pm I just completed the tolex job on my first speaker cab. Now I just need to do the speaker grill. I'd like to make it look like the attached image. Does anyone know the name of this type of grill material and where to buy it. Also, what is the white part called? Binding?
Hi, here is the grill cloth you are looking for, Its the classic Fender grill. Another name for it is Mellotone DF6000.

Just make sure to paint your baffle flat black first so the grill will look dark like your photo. CE Distribution should have this in the USA too, along with a bunch of other amp parts suppliers.

https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/gril ... -wide.html

Cheers
Guy
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I found out on my first attempt at piping that the baffle has to be set in a little further.
donvan

Post by donvan »

Thanks Martin, Bill and Guy for your responses. They were helpful.
I just finished the grill cover and piping. I'm very happy with the look of my grill cover. However, I'm a little disappointed in my piping job. I didn't find any good tutorials on installing that.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

donvan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 pm Thanks Martin, Bill and Guy for your responses. They were helpful.
I just finished the grill cover and piping. I'm very happy with the look of my grill cover. However, I'm a little disappointed in my piping job. I didn't find any good tutorials on installing that.
Hi, the secret to piping is to cut what you need and place it in hot water for a few seconds then it pulls out flat like a string. Then start to staple it around your grill cloth frame. Start at the bottom middle or top middle, that's where most of the big name companies start, and work your way around. The picture attached at the top of this thread started at the top middle. Don't start in the corners.

Cheers
Guy
xtian

Post by xtian »

When I have tried stapling piping, my stapler wants to push the piping out of place. In other words, I can't shoot staples close enough to the piping to avoid pushing it out of place as I staple. Advice?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

xtian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm When I have tried stapling piping, my stapler wants to push the piping out of place. In other words, I can't shoot staples close enough to the piping to avoid pushing it out of place as I staple. Advice?
Hi, I use a Dewalt powered stapler and I let the rounder part of the piping roll over the front edge of the grill frame. This way the flat part stays flush to the edge of the grill frame. Hope that helps. It can be hard to describe things in words only sometimes so I attached a pic of my piping showing the flat edge and the rounder part that I let roll over.
Maybe we can sticky this in "How To Piping" I was also making a mess of this until I learned the right way!
4-16-2024 4-58-00 PM.png
4-16-2024 4-58-00 PM.png (58.04 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Cheers
G
angelodp

Post by angelodp »

Mellotone DF6000 - So this stuff is close to the Fender original? I need to re-cover my old Tremolux 64' which is in poor shape.

Some of the grill stuff is plastic and degrades, is this DF6000 an actual material weave?

Ange