who makes vox cabs these days?

Discussion of Speakers, Cabinets and Cabinet Building

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Dennis Perusse

who makes vox cabs these days?

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello everyone,

As my question in the subject line. Who makes Vox Cabs these days? Mather Cabs used to but sadly he passed away recently. I tried contacting Mojotone a while back but I never quite got the response that I was looking for and most independent cab builders don't want to make them.

Now, I could do it myself as I work in a woodshop but, admittedly, I'm rather terrible at doing it and my boss has the shop very messy right now with his projects outside of work so outsourcing the task for me would be better. Does anyone know who, in the USA, makes these things still?

I probably should contact RG Keen and see if he'd have any issue with me using his cab dimensions that is on his Geofex site if I brought that to an independent woodworker to have it done. Although my emails sometimes get lost in the vortex of his email mailbox.

Dennis
Roe

Re: who makes vox cabs these days?

Post by Roe »

the problem is with the grill cloth
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hello,

Yeah, I get that. My thing is that I don't want their grill cloth on it though. I am using Vox's contempo chassis so it is kinda specific of a build. I just need someone, in the USA, who can do the cabinet design not necessarily the cabinet's pure aestetic. I probably should re-ask the cab builders that I did ask who said no with what I'm looking for and see if they will take on the project or not as a custom build. If not I'll have to do it myself again and plan better in my build if they give me a go away price.

Dennis
GAStan

Post by GAStan »

Maybe try Tim at TRM Guitar Cabinets. I've got 6 cabinets from him and am happy with his service and quality of his work. Send him an email and give him a day or two to respond, he builds during the day and only checks his email in the evenings.
Glenn
Dennis Perusse

Post by Dennis Perusse »

Hey,

I think I emailed him a while back and he said no. I'll try again but I'll ask him if he would be interested in doing it as a custom order sans grill cloth as I would put that on myself. R.G. gave me the okay to point out his files on the vox cabs so I'll see what he says. Considering what I am looking for is a vox ac-30 cab but done with a single 1x15 inch speaker and having the top vent slot similar to a vox ac-50 it would be something that I don't think they, Vox, ever did.

I talked to my boss the other day and once the shop that I work at gets fully cleaned up and reorganized he and I might take a stab at building one but I told him that I want to try to hear what other cab builders have to say first if they would do it at all. Plus it will also take some time to redo the shop so this project will take quite a while.

Dennis