Pcb CNC milling

Design and discussion around PCB Design that doens't suck!

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Pcb CNC milling

Post by erwin_ve »

Hi,
Is there anyone who has gone that path? Pro's, con's software/hardware combinations etc.
Any info is welcome, I'm new on that area.

Erwin
dwoodall

Re: Pcb CNC milling

Post by dwoodall »

I have done it. It beats acid etching, imo. Once you have everything set up, you can knock out boards reasonably quickly. You can also drill while the board is in place which is its biggest advantage over etching. I have done two sided boards with good results. I made a fixture to hold the boards and used three alignment dowels so I could flip the board and keep it registered. I used a V carve bit as that is what I had handy. Getting the data from the PCB tool into the CNC machine was a pain and took some time to figure out how to do that and is totally dependent on the tools you have. FWIW, I did this on a ShopBot, not a dedicated PCB mill. I made all the tooling and it was not fancy but it did work. These days. I get boards fabbed from where ever I can get them cheapest. Time is not usually an issue for me, so if it takes a few weeks, I don't mind.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

dwoodall wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:33 pm I have done it. It beats acid etching, imo. Once you have everything set up, you can knock out boards reasonably quickly. You can also drill while the board is in place which is its biggest advantage over etching. I have done two sided boards with good results. I made a fixture to hold the boards and used three alignment dowels so I could flip the board and keep it registered. I used a V carve bit as that is what I had handy. Getting the data from the PCB tool into the CNC machine was a pain and took some time to figure out how to do that and is totally dependent on the tools you have. FWIW, I did this on a ShopBot, not a dedicated PCB mill. I made all the tooling and it was not fancy but it did work. These days. I get boards fabbed from where ever I can get them cheapest. Time is not usually an issue for me, so if it takes a few weeks, I don't mind.
Thanks for your experiences.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

I just saw this cool video on converting your 3D printer to work as a PCB CNC machine .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJxqXk- ... e=youtu.be

The video below shows him using his converted 3D printer to create PCBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILnc-7I0zQA

Cheers
Guy
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I have a CNC here.

It is the way to go. Steep learning curve, if you've never dabbled. Worth it though.

I just ordered parts for a 2nd CNC with a much larger bed. It will be much easier this time around. I will have access to a 100w CNC laser in a few weeks.

My 1st CNC came as this kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Mill-Route ... 2907476336
I added these:
an P1A-S MPG pendant: http://www.vistacnc.com/a04_purchase/purchase.htm
a USB adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-UC100 ... SwcJZdbSoi

I had to buy and install all of the limit switches, a contactor block to control the router, wiring for everything else, spoilboard, had to do entire setup and calibration, etc.. That said, I think the hardest part of getting a finished product is getting a drawing converted from idea to Gcode. I use SheetCam for that. It took a long time to get accustomed to what you must do with your original drawing to get it to work well with SheetCam. Good thing is, once you get it figured out, you can engrave pedals, faceplates, PCBs, cut turret/eyelet boards, etc.. You get the picture. Push through the learning curve, ask a lot of questions. I'm here. ;)

My usual path:
DIY Layout Creator ->CorelDraw ->SheetCam -> Mach3

Note: there may be better software out there, this is the cheap route.

I can make a layout in DIYLC, then export as a pdf. I make my dimensional corrections in Corel, then export it as a dxf file to SheetCam to setup all of the steps for different bits or types of operation. SheetCam exports the Gcode for your specific controller app, like Mach3.

For PCBs and turret/eyelet boards, I use 2 flute end mill bits, usually 1/8" shank for cutting all of the holes and cutting out the perimeter. I use 1/8" shank .01mm 60 degree v-cut bits for engraving PCBS and aluminum faceplates, brass etc..

Hope this helps.
Last edited by dorrisant on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
MakerDP

Post by MakerDP »

Thanks for sharing dorrisant. This is on my list of things to do.... one of these days.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Thanks for posting your setup Dorrisant. It seems like a lot to learn but definitely worth it in the end! You could probably CNC all the holes required in an amp chassis with that CNC machine in your post.

Guy
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Guy77 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:57 pm Thanks for posting your setup Dorrisant. It seems like a lot to learn but definitely worth it in the end! You could probably CNC all the holes required in an amp chassis with that CNC machine in your post.
You guys are welcome. Ask questions if need be. I will share all setup tips, etc. if you need them.

And, yes, I use the CNC to cut all of the holes in chassis as well. For example, I did a G&R on an AO43 chassis a while back. I changed the power tubes to octals as well as moving some of the other tube locations. All was done using the CNC. See here: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32020
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo