5E3 and 5F6A PCB gerber files

Design and discussion around PCB Design that doens't suck!

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jwhousley

Re: 5E3 and 5F6A PCB gerber files

Post by jwhousley »

wallybob wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:38 pm Thanks for posting that Lauri. I took your schematic file and modified it for a Tweedle Dee Deluxe. Now I'm looking at assigning footprints for components and it looks like all of your components come from some Uraltone library - is this your company? Are none of these components similar to standard library components?
I was about to do the same thing! I did the 5e3 first, so I will have both in hand! Thank you Lauri!
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

thanks for sharing! I'm working on learning Kicad, I got stuck on doing holes for eyelets / solder points for the Dumble relay boards. I need to put in some time and this will be a great help!
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

Just an FYI, I am going to build the 5F6 in a mojotone JTM-45 chassis, I got the board mounted just need to figure how to mount the OPT and choke..
wish me luck and thanks for the boards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by steve07868 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

I used some stand offs with 4/40 screws on both sides so I can take the board off easily when I get the transformer in
jwhousley

Post by jwhousley »

steve07868 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:46 pm Just an FYI, I am going to build the 5F6 in a mojotone JTM-45 chassis, I got the board mounted just need to figure how to mount the OPT and choke..
wish me luck and thanks for the boards

[img][https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... 9gJSVk/img]
The image link is broken?!?!
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

Sorry I have not been on Forums in years I did not realize you had to host images see if it works now..
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

steve07868 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:23 pm Sorry I have not been on Forums in years I did not realize you had to host images see if it works now..
Hi Steve,

No, the link is not working. You can simply add the image as an attachment (see the tab below, next to Options, when you are editing or replying to a post).
steve07868

Post by steve07868 »

DUH I see now Thanks much easier :)
jwhousley

Post by jwhousley »

Has anyone experienced (what sounds like) a 60hz hum when using a circuit board vs a turrett \ eyelet board???
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

60hz hum or 120hz hum are common due to faults in almost any kind of amp. if it's truly 60hz then you've got a transformer or ac leads near something they shouldn't be.

if it's 120 it means you've got some problem with the filter caps. You'll need to try moving leads around with chopsticks to find what may make it better/worse. Have you got a center tap for the heaters? If so is it connected or are you using 100 ohm artificial taps?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
jwhousley

Post by jwhousley »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:46 am 60hz hum or 120hz hum are common due to faults in almost any kind of amp. if it's truly 60hz then you've got a transformer or ac leads near something they shouldn't be.

if it's 120 it means you've got some problem with the filter caps. You'll need to try moving leads around with chopsticks to find what may make it better/worse. Have you got a center tap for the heaters? If so is it connected or are you using 100 ohm artificial taps?

~Phil
Yes, the transformer I am using, Hammond 290BBX, has both the Green\Yellow and Red\Yellow Taps. I have them both hooked to the Power Amp Ground.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

It's possible there's a bit of an imbalance in the heater line, and this is causing the hum. I think often many here prefer at least to lift the heater center tap and use two 100 ohm resistors for a virtual center tap and this reduces hum, OR you can even use a 200 or 500 ohm potentiometer with the wiper as the ground so you can have 'hum balance' or something like that to give a better control over the hum.

Not saying that's definitely the problem, but it's an easy test.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
jwhousley

Post by jwhousley »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:10 pm It's possible there's a bit of an imbalance in the heater line, and this is causing the hum. I think often many here prefer at least to lift the heater center tap and use two 100 ohm resistors for a virtual center tap and this reduces hum, OR you can even use a 200 or 500 ohm potentiometer with the wiper as the ground so you can have 'hum balance' or something like that to give a better control over the hum.

~Phil
I think I may have figured it out. Since the circuit board has one common ground plane, I was grounding the HV Center Tap and the 6.3v Center Tap along with the Ground from the board. Also, grounding the pots, and the input jacks. I think this may be causing a ground loop. Here is what I will be attempting to solve the issue.... (pic)
5E3_Electron_Flow_Bus_Ground.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jwhousley

Post by jwhousley »

jwhousley wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:59 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:10 pm It's possible there's a bit of an imbalance in the heater line, and this is causing the hum. I think often many here prefer at least to lift the heater center tap and use two 100 ohm resistors for a virtual center tap and this reduces hum, OR you can even use a 200 or 500 ohm potentiometer with the wiper as the ground so you can have 'hum balance' or something like that to give a better control over the hum.

~Phil
I think I may have figured it out. Since the circuit board has one common ground plane, I was grounding the HV Center Tap and the 6.3v Center Tap along with the Ground from the board. Also, grounding the pots, and the input jacks. I think this may be causing a ground loop. Here is what I will be attempting to solve the issue.... (pic) 5E3_Electron_Flow_Bus_Ground.png
After testing this out with jumper wires... at full volume there is only a hiss now... THANK YOU!
Tassie Devil

Post by Tassie Devil »

Awesome, Im only new to using kicad and struggle to build schematics, footprints, and gerba files. It's great people sharing this stuff, makes life easy for amitures like myself that only know the turret board way. Once I'm I good at it I'll be sharing my stuff. Thankyou so much for sharing 👍