Question about kicad.

Design and discussion around PCB Design that doens't suck!

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

Question about kicad.

Post by dragonbat13 »

I'm not looking for details, I'll learn that on my own.

My question is a basic one.

Can Kicad allow me to create an editable schematic I can share, use it for layouts, and allow me to design a pcb file to allow a pcb building company to build my design?

Reason I ask is because I don't want to dig deep into learning something when it can't do all three.
martin manning

Re: Question about kicad.

Post by martin manning »

Yes, it does all of that.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

agreed, it even allows you to go from schematic to a basic pcb but you then need to do the movement, etc, and make sure all is tied into the right places, but it's pretty cool. I've only dabbled and never completed a full project that I built etc.
tUber Nerd!
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

Thank you.

On my ab165 project I plan on learning schematics by copying the fender schematic.
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

OH MAN THIS KiCad IS AWESOME.

Right now I am just copying the ab165 schematic from the fender amp field guide to KiCad, but just doing that and reading a little bit in the tutorial has me addicted.

I can see some great projects I have had in my head come to life with this stuff.

I always wanted to build a bias board with adjustment, and balance, humdinger and rectifier all in one compact board that can be used in the larger fender amps like a twin reverb. It should replace the factory rectifier board.

Thanks for the help choosing this program.

I don't understand why there are not too many shared projects in here. I certainly plan on giving out my stuff some day. Like this AB165. That's a heck of a cool amp to work with, I think it would be a welcomed project to be able to edit and such.

anyway, thanks again!
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

dragonbat13 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:05 am I'm not looking for details, I'll learn that on my own.

My question is a basic one.

Can Kicad allow me to create an editable schematic I can share, use it for layouts, and allow me to design a pcb file to allow a pcb building company to build my design?

Reason I ask is because I don't want to dig deep into learning something when it can't do all three.
It will do all of the above. You can do the layout of a pcb board. I've even used this layout as a drill template for an eyelet board with great success but...
For a full system layout I still use DIYLC program along side Kicad. Kicad cant do that type of layout afaik