PCB SIL sockets - will these be suitable for a tube amp board.

Design and discussion around PCB Design that doens't suck!

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stonerose

PCB SIL sockets - will these be suitable for a tube amp board.

Post by stonerose »

Hello I have been looking at these sockets to use in an amp to make changing cap values easier
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-sockets/6007748
I there is no mention in the datasheet of voltage or current rating

Will these be ok to use and leave in permanently ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bepone

Re: PCB SIL sockets - will these be suitable for a tube amp board.

Post by bepone »

this is low voltage terminal.. but this doest mean anything , you can isolate all the strip from other lines and this will be ok.
why you need current rating? :)
it is not good to leave that permanently because almost every connector one day will fail or make bad contact, sooner or later
stonerose

Post by stonerose »

I was going to cut them out individually to use for each leg of the caps, I had saw others with a 1A current rating.
so you recon its a bad idea? the board and traces are so flimsy so thought it would be better to use a socket for changes or any repairs.
bepone

Post by bepone »

yes bad idea, i have seen that guys leave that in guitar pedals which they sell but this is without any respect to the customer.
this is for integrated circuits, when they are in it is ok, all together is strong.

but caps have various legs diameter, they are heavy, with vibration caps will fell out, ok for the test only
stonerose

Post by stonerose »

bepone wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:20 pm yes bad idea, i have seen that guys leave that in guitar pedals which they sell but this is without any respect to the customer.
this is for integrated circuits, when they are in it is ok, all together is strong.

but caps have various legs diameter, they are heavy, with vibration caps will fell out, ok for the test only
I was going to add a bit of solder to the cap legs once installed in the socket to stop them falling out.
thoughts?

you mentioned its for integrated circuits- is there something that can be used for tube amps you could recommended
xtian

Post by xtian »

stonerose wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:39 pmyou mentioned its for integrated circuits- is there something that can be used for tube amps you could recommended
Yes! Turrets and eyelets!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
chaccmgr

Post by chaccmgr »

where is the point to use sockets and then solder the legs? How do you want to fix them to the board?

also my advice: turrets or eyelets