New Price -- Original Specification Trainwreck Chassis

List tube amp related items you wish to sell or trade. Private sales only. No dealers or manufactures.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Structo, mhuss, HeeBGB

M Fowler

Re: Original Specification Trainwreck Chassis

Post by M Fowler » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Here is an interesting interview from ToneQuest Report I kept for data purposes.

Can you describe what you were trying to achieve with your amp designs?

Well, I wanted to build an original-sounding amp that was going to be very durable, first. And I also used design ideas that I had used in medical electronics. For example, I’ve always built my amps on a chromate-converted aluminum chassis.

Why?

In medical electronics, the FDA is very concerned about ground leakage. You can’t scan someone who might be hooked up to life support equipment and risk shocking them, so ground current has to be very, very low. One way we got around that is by using chromate-converted aluminum. Aluminum is already a very good conductor, but the chromate conversion raises conductivity almost to the level of copper without the cost of a copper chassis. The higher conductivity allows for better grounding, better earthing, and when I did this with my amps they were clearly very lively and bouncy with that chassis.

The early Marshall amp chassis were aluminum…

They sure were, and so were the Trainwrecks. Aluminum is a lot more expensive than steel.

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Ok well I'm certainly at the bottom of the totem pole knowledge wise on this board. So lets get that out of the way first!

I read up on this a while ago and I was convinced when I was done that the mass of the chassis played a role. I can not seem to recall what I was reading for reference. The chassis acts as a shield from magnetic fields and one thing all wrecks shard in common than no clone chassis has got correct is the "shielding" property's.

The photos of Komets K60 the transformers were side by side but oriented correctly and as far away from the input of the amp.
I think Komets philosophy was after making Wreck designed amp sound good with modern parts and I'm sure reliability and safety was a big concern. That's why we see a stronger chassis, electrolytics not glued to the chassis and tube sockets not sheet metal screwed to the chassis. I think Komet and Trainweck are different amps with a different approach to Kens Ideas here.

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:48 pm

I also remembered watching a video of Ken where he mentioned he used aluminum on purpose because it is also not magnetic and therefore doesn't create or amplify magnetic fields and can't contribute to more noise as another reason he used aluminum.
tUber Nerd!

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:21 pm

The funny thing is I haven't had any problems in the amps I built using a steel chassis but have had problems in aluminum chassis amps. Probably builder error I suspect. :D

Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:10 pm

As you've gathered I'm big on quantifying what we perceive and if there is an electronic advance will we perceive it.

Aluminium is a better conductor than steel but do we perceive the difference?
There are plenty of good Fender amps with steel chassis. The differences between steel chassis Marshalls and Plexis are not limited to the chassis material. I'm sure a good Express could be made with a steel chassis.

As far as the Express and the Komet go I see it as the evolution of the same design, of course I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

newking70

Post by newking70 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:56 am

do you have any punched chassis'?

RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars » Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Sorry, I didn't see that last note - must have bumped myself off the reply list or something. I have not had any of the original spec chassis punched out so far... want to make sure everybody gets the full Trainwreck experience of punching out your own before I take away that pleasure from anybody. I do have a ton of the thicker style chassis in Wreck specifications for those that want the more modern and simple way to put together a Wreck. Send me an email if you want to know more. thanks, rj

info@rjguitars.net

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 am

RJ I do want two of these chassis at some point. I'm flat broke and will be even broker once passfan sells me his head cab.

So hoping you don't decide to punch them all out lol. I love the full wreck experience of goofing up hand drilling holes.

I will post a comparison with a original Bud chassis as well.

newking70

Post by newking70 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:43 am

how does one go about punching a chassis :?:

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 pm

newking70 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 5:43 am
how does one go about punching a chassis :?:
With a steady hand a hand drill and a step bit. A more expensive and cleaner way is a Greenlee punch along with a drill press for the smaller holes.

RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:52 am

I sorted figured out here lately that I am not getting the email prompts when somebody adds a post to a thread I subscribe too... so I missed these last few posts to this thread.

I'm not sure how KF punched his chassis but I sorta think he did it all himself using whatever method was his fav. I tend to like the step drills the best for my own work but they are not always as clean as the chassis punch.

RJ Guitars

Re: New Price -- Original Specification Trainwreck Chassis

Post by RJ Guitars » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Bumping this up to let you know I made a price adjustment on these chassis - I am getting ready to move again and want to minimize my efforts of restocking inventory and despite all the requests and interest in these, I still have too many of them left.

I'm cleaning off the shelves and making bargain Offerings of my unused inventory... I have a bunch of chassis for Wrecks, Komets, ODS, and Misc chassis as well... no reasonable offers refused and maybe even take a few unreasonable offers as well!

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:55 pm

RJ I want 3.

How on earth are these not moving? Drilling is a pain in the arse with out a drill press I know but I'm comfortable doing it now.

I hope this becomes part of the line up and doesn't get discontinued.. Drilled for original spec (out of the wreck files) for Pacifics would be nice.

I will do a comparison with a original Bud Ac chassis when I get mine.

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:20 am

I received the Bud replica chassis from Rj and they are very close to the original Bud chassis Ken used in appearance and spot on in thickness. The only real discrepancy I see are the corner folds and welds are one the wrong side. Also the inside of the chassis has a lot more scratches than Buds chassis. Out side is scratch free like Buds but still has the fold marks like Bud.
Heres some comparison photos. Replicas with plastic on them.

RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:54 am

Thank you RockinRocket for the direct comparison of an original. I am looking forward to the first completed amp from these boxes... will the chassis itself influence the sound that comes out of it??

I do like the plastic coating on the boxes. I seem to have terrible luck with machine shops scratching up the outside surfaces during processing so this helps to keep things looking nice.