Vendor Area?

List tube amp related items you wish to sell or trade. Private sales only. No dealers or manufactures.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Vendor Area?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Should we setup a custom more permanent vendor area where vendors can keep things updated as to what they're doing etc?

Classic example of how I think it's being done well here recently has been Scummback Speakers.

Please give feedback on what limits we should set, how we can keep good quality vendors only etc.

Please use the poll thread here if you want to vote on it:

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33478

Edit: updated to remove broken poll here and link the new poll

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Re: Vendor Area?

Post by xtian »

Voting is broken. Or I'm too stupid to figure it out. Oh, wait, I just learned Blender 2.8 from the ground up, so, not that stupid. :)

Vendor area sounds nice. It would be a good place for listings for Lou's PCBs, Tony's amps, Dave's...wait, he's out of the PCB game.

Don't think we need any limits to start. Can always squash bugs later.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
didit

Post by didit »

xtian wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 am Voting is broken. Or I'm too stupid to figure it out. Oh, wait, I just learned Blender 2.8 from the ground up, so, not that stupid. :)

Vendor area sounds nice. It would be a good place for listings for Lou's PCBs, Tony's amps, Dave's...wait, he's out of the PCB game.

Don't think we need any limits to start. Can always squash bugs later.
1++
ChopSauce

My 2 cents

Post by ChopSauce »

No. I'd suggest a sticky "Vendors, please read this" post, rather.

I don't see the point in having separated conditions for professionals and "lambda" users, but to require the professionals to pay for an additional service. This sounds sensible in some aspects but this does not cover small builders making little series to reduce costs, as a start.

In my opinion, the main flaw of this section is the notification not working (NWN). Sorry to mention that again but there were many evidences several posters were not aware of this and that used to be a main related problem.

I might be mistaken but I think it is very easy for vendors to include a link to any kind of contact information (either facebook page, e-mail address, website or even just plain text) within their signatures. That would also allow for overcoming the above mentionned NWN if the vendor puts a permanent contact link(*).

If just this latter point was to be advertised, within the suggested post, that would cover all the needs, wouldn't it?

(*) question would be make the e-mail adress publicly readable or not, that is which balance between exposure to spam vs. "advertising" for registered users only?
(my opinion being readable by registered users only)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

xtian wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 am Dave's...wait, he's out of the PCB game
I have recently considered offering some boards again.

As for a vendor area, I see ChopSauce's perspective. My main concern is that the AmpGarage For Sale area stays active and people are moving items; not being a place where unwanted items slowly go to die. One of my frustrations is when items get posted but the sellers are not regularly checking their posts and bumping/updating their items. People want to know if items are still available. "Back in the day", as it were, this site had thriving commerce. Guys here were building Trainwrecks and Dumbles with new build threads each week. Lots of research and new ideas. Exciting times. In the For Sale section, vendors were mixed with hobbyists and there was no real need to separate. I think the key thing was the section was always moving and communication was good. Sure, some posts languished and were forgotten about but most were actively managed. Yes, it does make it harder on all of us that the forum PM system is down. But my view is that when you are selling something, you should be attentive to your potential buyers, around to answer their questions, and be ready to move your item. I recognize that others may have differing styles though.

I agree that it could be very useful to have a place where we can find guys like Tony Dorrisant who offer CNC and design services, Lou and his PC board design service, and maybe a bulletin board for guys like Xtian, SteveM, et al that offer amp service and repair in their area. Over the last decade, the overall amp DIY community has grown in some ways and receded in others. It's become harder to find certain things that we all value, so this community has always been a good resource in that regard. One of my interests is to ensure we keep the tube amp legacy alive, well documented, and quietly waiting for the next wave of players that hear a tube amp and realize what they've been missing.

Anyway...
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

+1

Can't vote on the poll, but +1
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

What exactly do you gain with a vendor area vs. what it is now?
The difference between 2nd hand market and new produced things?
Active members posting here is a normal thing.
Are you hinting on the abnormalities?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes a vendor area would be good.

I trust the moderators opinion on if the vendor is in good standing.

Mark
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

First, I'm attaching what my poll looks like to me and I can vote on it... what do y'all see?
dontsee.png
As far as why vendor vs for sale/trade?

For sale/trade is a different type of thing, I am a person that wants to sell/buy one thing occasionally
Vendor is 'how can I find a consistent source of X product' and 'where can I as a vendor ensure a consistent place for forum members to find and contact me'

I like several of the ideas of 'our forum is broken with email don't expect notifications, and please give email or website for people to communicate with you' etc.

I really wish I could own the domain, as I'd have the email working and migrate the site to somewhere that doesn't suck, but sadly I have no control over that part.

Both I and Doug Hoffman have offered to take it over but silence from Allyn. :(

~Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tUber Nerd!
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

First, I'm attaching what my poll looks like to me and I can vote on it... what do y'all see?
I don't have any select "radio buttons" or "Submit Vote" button.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
didit

Post by didit »

Feeling guilty here. Perhaps by consensus & general agreement we could have a few pinned postings in the regular forsale/trade zone that acknowledge the contributions of regular small suppliers? Less hassle and informally polite, in keeping with TAG overall.

Best .. Ian
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Gah I guess maybe because I made this an announcement it locked out the poll, I'll delete the poll here, and make a new one, in this forum, and will link it back here for those interested.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

didit wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:07 pm Feeling guilty here. Perhaps by consensus & general agreement we could have a few pinned postings in the regular forsale/trade zone that acknowledge the contributions of regular small suppliers? Less hassle and informally polite, in keeping with TAG overall.

Best .. Ian
No worries, Ian. It's as good time as any to have the discussion and personally, I'd like to see a place for all the regular resources to be able to post their wares, as well as for those looking to just sell an odd part or item on occasion. I do agree though, if no greater formality is needed, then it's fine as is.

Cheers,
Dave
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Guilty? Not at all, it's good to share different thoughts. My opinion is that it is prettty easy for a vendor to update his thread on a ... monthly basis for example, but what are their needs and what would be usefull to the community is more important than my thoughts.

One more thing, the rules of the section reads:

1. No commercial sales or dealer spam.

so maybe revisting that would be a good start. I write maybe because I am far from being able to catch all the subtleties - even though I can express myself in written english.