Vendor Area?

List tube amp related items you wish to sell or trade. Private sales only. No dealers or manufactures.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Vendor Area?

Post by dorrisant »

I think what needs to be done is vetting and regulation of the "vendors". Scammers can run a muck if no one stops them quick enough. It seems that currently we have a couple of guys who are doing a serious job of regulating things.

For me, it would let me post examples of what can be done here. A centralized location for all of the parts you may need sounds good to me.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

ChopSauce wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am Guilty? Not at all, it's good to share different thoughts. My opinion is that it is prettty easy for a vendor to update his thread on a ... monthly basis for example, but what are their needs and what would be usefull to the community is more important than my thoughts.

One more thing, the rules of the section reads:

1. No commercial sales or dealer spam.

so maybe revisting that would be a good start. I write maybe because I am far from being able to catch all the subtleties - even though I can express myself in written english.
You are correct in that assessment. In this case I think we're basically discussing exempting 'some' trusted commercial companies. We may just rewrite that section to qualify that it's on a recommendation basis only, any posts that are from commercial companies that are not 'trusted and allowed' by the members, are going to be removed as spam etc.

this is the point of the discussion. We seem to see a lot of posts that fall into two categories.

1. people that are a small business specifically tailored to our forum's build currently are doing a lot of work to keep posts 'active' when they could just have a thread for their business... and deserve one due to being great sellers
2. people that post and never come back and we eventually need to delete their posts

The second is a fix for making cleanup easier, so we don't accidentally delete someone that's a known quantity
the first is just a way to confirm those vendors that are outstanding at giving great products that fit this builder community etc.

Also we'd want to be able to rescind this privilege if someone becomes problematic/abusive etc.

It may not be worth it if it fundamentally changes the way the forum behaves for users too... thus why I'd appreciate more voting/comments.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
didit

Post by didit »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:10 pm
ChopSauce wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am Guilty? Not at all, it's good to share different thoughts. My opinion is that it is prettty easy for a vendor to update his thread on a ... monthly basis for example, but what are their needs and what would be usefull to the community is more important than my thoughts.

One more thing, the rules of the section reads:

1. No commercial sales or dealer spam.

so maybe revisting that would be a good start. I write maybe because I am far from being able to catch all the subtleties - even though I can express myself in written english.
You are correct in that assessment. In this case I think we're basically discussing exempting 'some' trusted commercial companies. We may just rewrite that section to qualify that it's on a recommendation basis only, any posts that are from commercial companies that are not 'trusted and allowed' by the members, are going to be removed as spam etc.

this is the point of the discussion. We seem to see a lot of posts that fall into two categories.

1. people that are a small business specifically tailored to our forum's build currently are doing a lot of work to keep posts 'active' when they could just have a thread for their business... and deserve one due to being great sellers
2. people that post and never come back and we eventually need to delete their posts

The second is a fix for making cleanup easier, so we don't accidentally delete someone that's a known quantity
the first is just a way to confirm those vendors that are outstanding at giving great products that fit this builder community etc.

Also we'd want to be able to rescind this privilege if someone becomes problematic/abusive etc.

It may not be worth it if it fundamentally changes the way the forum behaves for users too... thus why I'd appreciate more voting/comments.

~Phil
I can understand our friendly custodians wanting to flush extraneous noise from the board. The downside that triggered my comment was loosing Mikey's ads that would have made it easier to point out to Mark where he'd find fine woodworking etc. There's an ebb and flow, for various interests and as example Trainwreck activity has been somewhat adrift (or perhaps off the rails) for a while now. I'll again propose a simple & informal adjustment, which is to keep the current high-level grouping but by general agreement of our admins provide those giving helpful enablers of our various addictions special "pinned" posting in the existing sale/trade section. As a start, for today off the top of my head, I'd nominate: Mikey, Erwin+Ryan, Taylor, and Lou. I'm sure someone worthy/essential got missed.

The virtue I see in this approach is that there's no open invitation to subtle slow-motion scammers. One has to have established cred before being informally adopted as worth pinning.

Best .. Ian
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I actually do really like the idea of pinning posts as persistent 'stores' for those that are known.

Maybe that's the best of both worlds.

Others thoughts?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

I support a commercial supplier section. This is a common approach on other forums I belong to. Given the lack of PM ability with this forum, the decline in forum participation and in many respects, fewer new builds by those other than the most prolific (you know who you are), it could be a way to provide an easily accessible roster of suppliers for the amps this forum was built around. Preventing abuse requires the diligence of the excellent moderators here, as well as fair feedback from users.

I also support the move to clean up the old for sale posts; it is irritating to me that other forums allow those old posts to languish when the item has sold, is no longer available, or the seller no longer is a forum member. Those items could always be moved to an archive (sold) section if that was desired.

By the way, a big thanks to our two excellent moderators (!) and the regular participants. I've not been building guitar amps for a few years - building and fixing audio gear - but I check in here several times a week to learn something every time.

Cheers, and stay healthy, folks.

Greg
Scumback Speakers

Post by Scumback Speakers »

Speaking only for myself, I usually sell extra stuff out of the shop that isn't needed. Usually it's not something I make, so there's really not much to promote or consider as something I am a vendor for. I'm trying to clean out the shop of all the stuff I've accumulated over the last 20 years so I can fix my 50 year old Pontiac! LOL
Scumback - Guitar Speakers That Kick Ass!
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
www.scumbackspeakers.com
https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/
ApexJr.

Post by ApexJr. »

As a dealer, a surplus dealer without an advertising budget I would love to have a section
To post new items I find that will benefit the vacuum tube DIY builders and save them money
Over retail prices.

Steve
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

+10 to that!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Steve, I think it would be great if you posted your wares here. The only thing I ask is that anyone posting For Sale items, to please keep their posts up to date and respond to all inquiries by forum members in a timely manner. I periodically bump posts that have gone cold and if there is no reply or if communication is poor, they get removed.

Thanks!
jmrichardson01

Post by jmrichardson01 »

Not sure what was ultimately decided with regards to a Vendor Area or not - so I'll let the moderator be the judge;

Pacific Transformer just opened up a direct to consumer site (www.pacificaudiomagnetics.com) for the public to buy iron for Trainwreck, Fender, Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt, etc. Open to feedback on what you all think.

JR
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I'll let a few members let me know what they know, I don't know of your products but I've heard of them before...

mob rule and all :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

jmrichardson01 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:13 pm Not sure what was ultimately decided with regards to a Vendor Area or not - so I'll let the moderator be the judge;

Pacific Transformer just opened up a direct to consumer site (www.pacificaudiomagnetics.com) for the public to buy iron for Trainwreck, Fender, Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt, etc. Open to feedback on what you all think.

JR
Looks too expensive for my consideration, but I would like to hear any reviews from TAG members.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Looks like the Mercury pricing model.