New PCBs! Dumblelator, Princeton Reverb, SLO100

List tube amp related items you wish to sell or trade. Private sales only. No dealers or manufactures.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

frusciante89

New PCBs! Dumblelator, Princeton Reverb, SLO100

Post by frusciante89 »

Hello everyone!
Your requests have been heard! I've added three brand new PCBs to my products list 🙂
  • SLO-style PCB (400mm x 78mm)
  • Princeton Reverb PCB (322mm x 63.5mm)
  • Dumblelator PCB (240mm x 35.5mm)
All boards come with full documentation: layout, schematic, BOM! If you want to check out the documentation without any purchase, I've made it available for FREE on my website for anyone to download (just login and you can view/download everything): https://www.aaelectronicspcb.com/products
Cheers from London,
Andrea

Preview of the boards here:

Princeton Reverb PCB (322mm x 63.5mm)

SLO-style PCB (400mm x 78mm)

Dumblelator PCB (240mm x 35.5mm)

bepone

Re: New PCBs! Dumblelator, Princeton Reverb, SLO100

Post by bepone »

i allready mention many times, and people repeating the same error again and again... forget about theory and first power up which will be ok.

too low clearance between Ub+ and GND lines, there is never too much, also if is 1cm between the lines! here is 1 mm , 40 mills or less if i can judge from the eye.

frusciante89 » if you are doing PCB for sale you need to think about everything, not only ideal condition. what will be if the amp operating in high humidity area, full of dust (bar etc).

you can check how is looking marshall DSL pcbs with time, and i can add many others (like ampeg V4 pcb where is nice clearance)
rooster

Post by rooster »

Happy to be the first purchaser of this PR board, Andrea! Thank you for adding this to your products. :D
Last edited by rooster on Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
xtian

Post by xtian »

Played a gig last night with my AA Blackface board (Monkeymatic Whitney). Amp sounded great. All went well.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

bepone wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:04 pm i allready mention many times, and people repeating the same error again and again... forget about theory and first power up which will be ok.

too low clearance between Ub+ and GND lines, there is never too much, also if is 1cm between the lines! here is 1 mm , 40 mills or less if i can judge from the eye.

frusciante89 » if you are doing PCB for sale you need to think about everything, not only ideal condition. what will be if the amp operating in high humidity area, full of dust (bar etc).

you can check how is looking marshall DSL pcbs with time, and i can add many others (like ampeg V4 pcb where is nice clearance)
Don't really understand what you mean bepone. The widths of the traces have been simulated using a PCB software, and I've more than 500 happy customers around the world!
What you mention might be true for 1960s PCBs in which you had bare copper traces exposed. In modern PCB manufacturing, the protection layer on top of the copper avoids the potential arcing you're mentioning. Also, from my experience, this might potentially happen only in high voltage circuitry, but we are talking about signal of the order of kV - definitely not something you see in a tube amp.
If you have an example of a board failing this way, would love to see it! Again, never had an issues like that in my boards in more than 10 years :)
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

Also, this is not based only on my experience, but on science and on the industry.
There’s a specific standard that regulates this. It’s the IPC2221B, and it describes minimum trace distances for commercial PCBs.
Have a look at it. I’m attaching a screenshot of it

bepone

Post by bepone »

frusciante89 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:50 pm Don't really understand what you mean bepone. The widths of the traces have been simulated using a PCB software, and I've more than 500 happy customers around the world!
What you mention might be true for 1960s PCBs in which you had bare copper traces exposed. In modern PCB manufacturing, the protection layer on top of the copper avoids the potential arcing you're mentioning. Also, from my experience, this might potentially happen only in high voltage circuitry, but we are talking about signal of the order of kV - definitely not something you see in a tube amp.
If you have an example of a board failing this way, would love to see it! Again, never had an issues like that in my boards in more than 10 years :)
first of all i'm more than 25 years /design, repair/ in professional electronic pcbs. also i was working on 6kV vessel thruster ABB pcbs (thruster power 4.4MW) where you have more than half meter distance between the lines.
i see that your thinking only goes in one direction, looking only ideal case. also number of customers is not important even if there will be 1.000.000 of them! i see that you didnt even have a look in Marshall DSL TSL pcb , those are modern pcb failures, check here:
https://music-electronics-forum.com/fil ... ?id=859716
https://irationaudio.files.wordpress.co ... g_0232.jpg
https://irationaudio.files.wordpress.co ... g_0249.jpg

your pcbs will be refused in any serious industry, specially in oil and gas or marine. from first overview, you didnt take in account humidity and dust, and also clearance between the Ubb and gnd lines (+-). this means reliability.

i see that you are making some effort, hence my correction .. you can further investigate about Marshall TSL, DSL amps it is full of net of them.
also PCB is becaming porosive and conductive with time , and carbonysing and short circuit can happen after decade or two
carbon.png
my point is that is never too low clearance between the 450V and gnd lines.. and you have only basic, 40 mills, made with auto- pouring (?).. you can draw a circle around those points and auto pour will not reach there. or you can declare voltage on those nods so program will not fill close to that. like this you can reach good 5mm between (200 mills). etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

Dear bepone, didn’t want to come out as rude. Apologise if you got that impression.

In any case, I’m complying with IPC2221B standards - I work in the robotics and aerospace industry so I do have a fair bit of experience as well.
The board you see in the video is the dry-run version of the final PCB, i.e. the first trial I got from the manufacturer. The final version being sold has a different copper pour and is attached. As you can see, there are two separate ground pours with two different "keep out" values. In the preamp section, the value is 1.5mm. In the power section, the value is 2.5mm - which is 3.12 times over the safety factor (taking the values for coated PCBs, see attached screenshot of the IPC2221B rules calculator)
Hope that clarifies the rationale behind the design!
Andrea

frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

Also, the damages you showed look to me they're coming from uncoated (or very lightly coated) PCBs. In that case, the clearance is much larger than the value I mentioned of course. But mine are all coated as you can see.
In any case - I'm on your side when it comes to safety factors, and that's which I have that 3x on the clearance and creepage recommended values
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bump. Still available?
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bump
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Do you make a PCB for a Bluesmaster HRM build per chance?
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bump. Please monitor your thread for questions and activity. Thank you.
frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:53 am Do you make a PCB for a Bluesmaster HRM build per chance?
Hello! I make a board for Dumble clones: I documented the 102, 124, 183