WTB or WTT 50s era Astron caps

List tube amp related items you wish to sell or trade. Private sales only. No dealers or manufactures.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zephyrblau

WTB or WTT 50s era Astron caps

Post by zephyrblau »

friends;
I have a couple of 50s era Fender tweeds on the bench for restoration. to that end I'm searching for the following in yellow:

.02uf @ 400V
.1uf @ 400V

also interested in earlier paper wrapped Astron type AM @ 600V in red or white, similar values including .05uf.
I'm familiar with the current offerings on Ebay. got any dead Astron filter caps ? I may be interested in those as well to re-stuff.
trading ? I may have something to suit your needs :shock:
TIA
jerry
Astron_yellow.jpg
P1010092.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhopperPlate

Re: WTB or WTT 50s era Astron caps

Post by WhopperPlate »

I know you want the real deal, but fwiw and Fyi for your consideration

http://www.tweeddeluxe.com/recpro-capacitors.cfm
Charlie
bepone

Post by bepone »

just safety observation slightly ontopic: using old capacitors mean searching for the troubles (DC leaking, humidity soaking through the leads, cracking etc etc)
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

WhopperPlate wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:42 pm I know you want the real deal, but fwiw and Fyi for your consideration

http://www.tweeddeluxe.com/recpro-capacitors.cfm
thanks for that. I am familiar with the Jupiter product but this was a new one on me. for the clones I build I usually have good luck with
NOS glass sealed PIO types.
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

bepone wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:55 pm just safety observation slightly ontopic: using old capacitors mean searching for the troubles (DC leaking, humidity soaking through the leads, cracking etc etc)
point taken.
a further consideration involves the small fortune I spent buying "NOS" caps before I had a tester on site.
I shudder to think how much of that went out in the trash.
jumpbluesdude

Post by jumpbluesdude »

Those RECPRO caps - nice idea, but I'd rather use Mallory 150's and pocket the $28 a cap saving. Plenty of good caps out there for a reasonable price. I'd look at Zoso before I'd go this route. Spending $300-400 on caps when that's only one ingredient in the tweed sound recipe seems quite foolish to me. I built a tweed Tremolux with scavenged and NOS AB carbon comp resistors I had on hand and some of the blue molded Ajax caps I had collected that had no leakage on any of them. I used Mercury transformers, Gavitt wire, the spacing off a 55 tremolux board and exact lead dress. Also a Weber A125 alnico 12 and built a solid Walnut finger-jointed cabinet - the one intentional departure. Thought I couldn't get much closer. It sounds great, but does not quite have the sonic signature like my Harvard. Its brighter. Maybe it needs 60 years to get there. Either way, I doubt these caps would be the missing link to get me there.
eBay: The place where a fool and their money part.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

jumpbluesdude wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:08 pm Those RECPRO caps - nice idea, but I'd rather use Mallory 150's and pocket the $28 a cap saving. Plenty of good caps out there for a reasonable price. I'd look at Zoso before I'd go this route. Spending $300-400 on caps when that's only one ingredient in the tweed sound recipe seems quite foolish to me. I built a tweed Tremolux with scavenged and NOS AB carbon comp resistors I had on hand and some of the blue molded Ajax caps I had collected that had no leakage on any of them. I used Mercury transformers, Gavitt wire, the spacing off a 55 tremolux board and exact lead dress. Also a Weber A125 alnico 12 and built a solid Walnut finger-jointed cabinet - the one intentional departure. Thought I couldn't get much closer. It sounds great, but does not quite have the sonic signature like my Harvard. Its brighter. Maybe it needs 60 years to get there. Either way, I doubt these caps would be the missing link to get me there.
That’s a lot of wind to express doubt . Try ‘em and let me know what you think. I like them better than Mallory 150s my 2 cents . Do you.
Charlie
Stephen1966

Post by Stephen1966 »

I have a (yellow) Jupiter in mine as well - no complaints, it sounds great but there are also these:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalo ... -8341.html
Stephen
www.primatone.eu
jumpbluesdude

Post by jumpbluesdude »

Pass. I’ve been around long enough to know. I’ll keep my money in my pocket. Concise enough?
eBay: The place where a fool and their money part.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bump up. Still looking?
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

Colossal wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:08 pm Bump up. Still looking?
yes, Sir! :D
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bump again. Still looking or have you found what you need?
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

Colossal wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:14 pm Bump again. Still looking or have you found what you need?
thought I had a lead on a good size batch but, as of yet, it hasn't happened.