WTB: dead Astron electrolytics

List tube amp related items you wish to sell or trade. Private sales only. No dealers or manufactures.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

zephyrblau

WTB: dead Astron electrolytics

Post by zephyrblau »

as pictured.
any value, any quantity.
TIA
P1010192.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sluckey

Re: WTB: dead Astron electrolytics

Post by sluckey »

I restored a Fender Harvard several years ago. I "think" these caps are in a box inside the amp or in one of my parts cabinets. I kept them in case I ever decide to sell the Harvard. What are you expecting to pay? Could inspire me to find them. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

$40 + postage for all the caps in the pic including the tone caps.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

I need more inspiration than that. I'm very aware of the crazy prices these old Astrons go for.
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

happy to consider your idea of inspiration.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

I hate to disrupt anyone's moneymaking schemes, but old caps exist in things other than guitar amps. I have piles of garbage pulled from old garbage I could sell you, but why not go to the source? Find a tv, radio, organ, test equipment, heathkit thing by the side of the road and take it apart. These parts weren't special, they are what was available at the time. People will give you their large pieces of garbage if you promise to use it, then you can process it into smaller pieces of garbage and dispose of responsibly. Old junk is full of: transformers, inductors, pots, switches, caps, cc resistors, etc. Lots of people want to get rid of their stuff and know someone will use it. be that person.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

zephyrblau wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:18 pm happy to consider your idea of inspiration.
I'll send you a private message.
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

maxkracht wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:30 am I hate to disrupt anyone's moneymaking schemes, but old caps exist in things other than guitar amps. I have piles of garbage pulled from old garbage I could sell you, but why not go to the source? Find a tv, radio, organ, test equipment, heathkit thing by the side of the road and take it apart. These parts weren't special, they are what was available at the time. People will give you their large pieces of garbage if you promise to use it, then you can process it into smaller pieces of garbage and dispose of responsibly. Old junk is full of: transformers, inductors, pots, switches, caps, cc resistors, etc. Lots of people want to get rid of their stuff and know someone will use it. be that person.
point taken. I scrounge Craigslist and the like but, in my neck of the woods, it's a pretty tough slog.
thanks for chiming in.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

What's the attraction here? Reforming and using them, or using the paper covers to conceal modern caps?
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

martin manning wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:14 pm What's the attraction here? Reforming and using them, or using the paper covers to conceal modern caps?
the short answer is 'yes'. use them if still in spec (and not to leaky) re-stuff them if not.
maxkracht

Post by maxkracht »

Apologies if this is obvious to everyone else. I have tried lots of ways to stuff cardboard tubes, with pretty mediocre results. For the past couple years, whenever I am asked to do that, I cut the cardboard lengthwise, then cut the internal metal tube the other direction. Pull out the guts, and use a tiny drillbit to go through either end. Looks completely stock until you get really close. A little beeswax and heat makes any cracks in the cardboard look fresh to sell it even more. here's a timelapse of the process on an old reverb unit if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LME4mT3jIek. I don't trust old electrolytics...
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bump. Still looking or did you find what you need?
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

maxkracht wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:43 am Apologies if this is obvious to everyone else. I have tried lots of ways to stuff cardboard tubes, with pretty mediocre results. For the past couple years, whenever I am asked to do that, I cut the cardboard lengthwise, then cut the internal metal tube the other direction. Pull out the guts, and use a tiny drillbit to go through either end. Looks completely stock until you get really close. A little beeswax and heat makes any cracks in the cardboard look fresh to sell it even more. here's a timelapse of the process on an old reverb unit if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LME4mT3jIek. I don't trust old electrolytics...
I've been using a slightly modified version of the process described here;

https://hardway-vintage.com/project/how ... apacitors/
zephyrblau

Post by zephyrblau »

Colossal wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:05 pm Bump. Still looking or did you find what you need?
I have found some but can use more. #1 on my hit list these days is 250uf @ 6V
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Bump