Climax...?

Trainwreck schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Crashtm1

Climax...?

Post by Crashtm1 »

Can I assume that the Climax was Geralds baby? I've got a schematic but dont know that much about it... Any love out there?
Mark

Re: Climax...?

Post by Mark »

The Climax shares a lot with the Komet. I suspect it isn't Gerald's baby.

I'm a little surprised these amps haven't become collectible as there aren't a lot of them around.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Here is a Climax amp.

You should post the schematic for me.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

More Information. The schematic is correct for the Climax it is what came with the amp as a kit. Layout and Schematic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
drbob1

Post by drbob1 »

I bought Climax #100 (about the 39th built, for the guitar tech of the band "Asleep at the Wheel") a decade ago. I talked with the original purchaser a lot, and pursued the matter thru the message boards and forums. The best that I can reconstruct the timeline was this:

Gerald approached Ken about a collaboration, the deal being that Kendrick would supply the amps, Ken would have major input to the construction and would be paid a per amp consulting fee.

A basic schematic was agreed on, the amp was built and went back and forth between Gerald and Ken a few times as the sound was refined. At some point, Gerald cut off communication and just built the amp.

Ken sent a letter to the early purchasers (not doing it by #39) documenting the changes that he recommended to get the amp closer to his vision. Gerald never sent him any money. Ken then basically disowned the amp and didn't talk about it any more.

Having played a KF50, there's a lot of similarities between the British side of the Climax and it-very hard attack on the note, very loud for a pair of EL34s (the canarywood cab and the dual Fane Alnicos probably contributed to that as well). I would definitely say that the amp fell within the spectrum of Ken's preferred tone, but wasn't nearly as carefully put together (see the wiring above) and, because of the controversy, will never be worth a lot (Ken's supporters don't like it, and it's note really what Gerald's supporters want).