Nuke Schematic

Trainwreck schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Blackburn

Nuke Schematic

Post by Blackburn »

Here's something Dave Funk sent me a little while back and I figured I'd share with you guys. It was made by Dave from an actual specimen that Ken 'Nuked'. I made some necessary adjustments that I guess he never got to, such as the B+ string and very few other things, such as applying values that were missing and even the plate resistor on the third triode stage, which wasn't there at all. The layout shows these, but missed on the schem. The inverter is a Tungsol 12AX7, as indicated by the code, which I changed because the original said '5617', and should be '5687', as on some TungSol tubes.

The filtering should probably be increased (I made the last two caps 16uf as well), but keep in mind that I didn't change much from the original he sent me, I just wanted to make this a complete schematic. I didn't touch the layout. Exactly the way he sent it.

Hope you dig!

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Re: Nuke Schematic

Post by Colossal »

Very cool lore man, thanks for sharing that. Tone report?
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Nothin yet. I was going to build it and then share, but I have too many projects ahead and haven't even begun compiling parts. Maybe someone else will get to it before I do.

You up to it?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Blackburn wrote:Nothin yet. I was going to build it and then share, but I have too many projects ahead and haven't even begun compiling parts. Maybe someone else will get to it before I do.

You up to it?
Naw man, I'm in the same boat. Many irons in the fire :cry:
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Yup!

Just got some fresh from Heyboer. Custom made to my specs, a lot like Jack In The Box does food... To order, and for a very reasonable price. Can't say the same for MM... $350.00 custom order. :evil:
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Blackburn wrote: Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 pm Here's something Dave Funk sent me a little while back and I figured I'd share with you guys. It was made by Dave from an actual specimen that Ken 'Nuked'. I made some necessary adjustments that I guess he never got to, such as the B+ string and very few other things, such as applying values that were missing and even the plate resistor on the third triode stage, which wasn't there at all. The layout shows these, but missed on the schem. The inverter is a Tungsol 12AX7, as indicated by the code, which I changed because the original said '5617', and should be '5687', as on some TungSol tubes.

The filtering should probably be increased (I made the last two caps 16uf as well), but keep in mind that I didn't change much from the original he sent me, I just wanted to make this a complete schematic. I didn't touch the layout. Exactly the way he sent it.

Hope you dig!

David
Hi Blackburn,

I read this old post of yours, are you out of NUKE amp? how does it sound? have you ever made a clips.
The project seems extremely interesting to me. :D
Thank you

Franco
franco mezzalira
rdavy

Post by rdavy »

I just finished modding the normal channel of my silverface Pro Reverb with this idea. So far, I'm very happy with how it turned out.
rooster

Post by rooster »

rdavy, when you say you modded your Normal channel, are you meaning that you modded your Normal channel to the Nuke 'Vibrato' channel specs? Did you keep the Reverb channel intact? If so, what 1/2 tube did you rob to create the 3rd stage? Thanks.

Also, to the author, looking at that 3rd stage, explain why the two 320K resistors are needed when this amounts to 160K to ground?
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
rdavy

Post by rdavy »

rooster wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:36 am rdavy, when you say you modded your Normal channel, are you meaning that you modded your Normal channel to the Nuke 'Vibrato' channel specs? Did you keep the Reverb channel intact? If so, what 1/2 tube did you rob to create the 3rd stage? Thanks.

Also, to the author, looking at that 3rd stage, explain why the two 320K resistors are needed when this amounts to 160K to ground?
Yes, the Nuke Vibrato specs in the Normal channel of my amp. And yes, I left the Reverb channel intact. What I did was disconnect the tremolo circuit to use the tube for the 3rd gain stage.
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

What's up with the duplicate 320K resistors?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

150k makes sense here, in keeping with the Trainwreck Express second stage RC tuning of 2n2/150k. Maybe those 320k were hand selected (nominal) 330k carbon comps that measured 320k, for a net result of 160k in parallel?
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

Thanks for the response. Good point, 320k or 160k are not standard values.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Interesting story with the amp. Apparently it was owned by Ken Fischer's physician. KF modified Vibrato channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij_s4l5KXPw
dblgun

Post by dblgun »

Very interesting story behind the amp. It was not my favorite tone, although I don't think the single coils in the strat showed the extent of the amps potential. It sounded to me as though the amp may need some attention.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Definitely not a tone I would find useful, rather ragged and fatiguing actually, in my opinion.