Ken Fischer Express/Liverpool mods

Trainwreck schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Ken Fischer Express/Liverpool mods

Post by Reeltarded »

You make so many agreeable statements to my own intuitions that I sort of had an idea you must play a variety of instruments. I can't say I remember ever thinking you were wrong about anything. heh
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Thanks for the kind words. I find that the pickup magnets matter greatly with the express. I like the us made vintage style magnets, not the asian stuff that tends to sound harsh and trebly with a hard attack. Suhr and throbak and tv jones use us made magnets. But most others use asian alnico. In pafs I often swap the magnets. I plan to try the mojotone magnets and crazyparts magnets. The throbak magnets are getting too expensive for me, although I had excellent experience with them in the past esp. in seymour duncans wound on an original leesona 102 machine
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

You can source magnets from suppliers by dimension and every other spec you can think of, finding the right place is the trick.

I bet you make your own copper from ore lol :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Yes, that is true. The express is very sensitive to the magnets. Many a5 magnets sound too bright and harsh with the express. But the throbak ua5 is great
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Someone told me when I was maybe 15 or 16 that you could change decrease the gauss by hitting the magnet.. so I loosened the treble pickup in an L6-S (potted Gibson ceramic) and bashed it on a cement slab. Three hard whacks knocked off the harshness, three more really hard whacks knocked off enough that you had to turn the amp gain up just slightly to get back to a similar drive.. I think I whacked that pickup 12 times and then removed it to use in my favorite guitar. It sounded very even across all guitar ranges and very focused compared to PAFs and whatever else. I wish I had that pickup.. that was a cool experiment.

I also throw wha wha pedals to cause random microphony in the inductors. Sounds rediculous. Best one has been thrown very hard 12 times into a parking lot. Not kidding. heh
Roe

Post by Roe »

applying heat to alnico magnets will also weaken them. But nothing can be done with the impure alloys often found in cheap asian magnets.
4x12" w/H75s
Winder

Post by Winder »

:shock: :shock: Roe, I promise I didn't bash your magnets with concrete or hit them with a torch to partially degauss them! :shock: :shock:

There are less permanent/more controlled ways to tweak magnet strength. :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just degauss the magnets with a decent source like the vacuum cleaner.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Winder

Post by Winder »

Looks like we hijacked this thread. I use these, and a couple of methods I've developed over the years to set field strength and balance across the faces of the bars.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

lol this is the wild frontier.. we makes auur maganets wiff horse teams.. you galoot!
Winder

Post by Winder »

:D What gets you there is what's best!

I need a little more precision and repeatability for my pickups. I'll bet the charger weighs 50-60 lbs. It's interesting, all of the pieces of the tone puzzle, starting with the fingers and all the way through to the ears and brain.
Mark

Post by Mark »

That double neck Ibanez is beyond cool, it has it's own thing going on. I look at the Ibanez guitars available now and it's all quite meh!

Where did they go wrong?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Mark wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:56 am That double neck Ibanez is beyond cool, it has it's own thing going on. I look at the Ibanez guitars available now and it's all quite meh!

Where did they go wrong?

Disco ended!

I traded it for this last month

This is not as heavy too either though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I never thought Ibanez guitars were synonymous with disco, maybe Jazz Rock. The Ibanez is far rarer than the Fender Strat. While there aren't a lot of times you can use a double neck it would be an interesting piece to own.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Mark wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:30 am I never thought Ibanez guitars were synonymous with disco, maybe Jazz Rock. The Ibanez is far rarer than the Fender Strat. While there aren't a lot of times you can use a double neck it would be an interesting piece to own.

It was fun and wanted one since 1979 but really could not say no to the trade.

Get Down! Booogie Ooooogie Ooooogie! hahahaha