Rocket Documents

Trainwreck schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

angelodp

Soldering to pots

Post by angelodp »

What is the best technique for soldering to pots... have had varying success. Is it just a honkin big soldering iron with high heat, or can i use my smaller tip at extreme heat levels for a short burst.

ange.

PS any big issue with running a suspended bus wire as in the dumble layouts?
angelodp

cut

Post by angelodp »

What about the cut pot... no ground there ??

ange
Fischerman

Re: Rocket Documents

Post by Fischerman »

Should be no issue with a suspended ground buss wire...many would say it's preferable because each time you solder to a pot you create a little ground loop (but it's usually not a problem).

If the pot is PEC it's supposed to be a real PITA. I used PECs for the first time in mine and did not solder to the backs of the pots (so I can't verify that). If it's another brand it may be easier. Alphas are certainly easy but I would 'scrape up' the back of the pot where I intended to solder to.

Cut uses no ground. Some people expect them to work 'backwards' (less high-end as you turn it clockwise) but I like consistency in the way the pots behave so I did it like the layout shows (which decreases high-end as you turn it CCW).
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Updated Layout posted correcting Bass pot wiring.

Ron
DocJames

Post by DocJames »

hi, looks like the wiring is off on the GZ34 in the layout picture. The gray wires should be on the 8/2 pin, with green/yellow on the 4/6 pin.

That being said, the work that you two have done for this is just amazing! thanks for making such a great resource for the rest of us rocket builders!

James
angelodp

Is this correct

Post by angelodp »

Is this corrected now on that wire fix?

ange
[IMG:471:302]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii9/ ... irefix.jpg[/img]
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Angelodp, that is correct.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

schematic: no fuse on Neutral
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Tim will correct that error and then I will post. We just had the clocking of the socket wrong- thanks for the catch!

The wires are correct on our layout, just the numbers and guide pin need to be clocked around so that pins 1 & 8 point "northwest" just like all the other tubes in the amp. It would be a very KF thing to have them all this way.

Jaysg- Sorry, I don't understand your comment, can you expand on it??

Let us know if there are any more errors.

Ron
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

You posted a "Taylor" Rocket schematic which shows two fuses on the AC. There's an unmarked one after the switch. It should come before the switch. There's one marked 2.0A SB on the White wire (Neutral). That's either an unintentional mistake or meant for a 220 country where you have to fuse both Hot and Neutral.

Additionally, from what I've seen, KF alternated his heater wiring. I have no idea what that buys you, but he did. The layout shows black and green wires, which makes it easier to follow than his handiwork. I've started a thread in the discussion area. See what happens.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

The only fuse on a real Rocket is the 2 amp SB as indicated... THe AC-30 may have had this extra fuse, but the Rocket does not...

I didn't catch the other fuse on the schematic.... but it does not exist on the real amp... Are you saying the the fuse should go on the upper AC wire???

Ron
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

You guys sure it's 2A? A 2A usually blew in mine but not every time. Only other value I had on hand was 4A slo-blo. I'm almost sure that the Vox AC30 uses a 4A fuse for 120vac mains (I think it's 2A slo-blo if you're @ 240vac mains). Doug Hoffman's 'AC30' type circuit used a 3A slo-blo there (which I intend to try once I get down to Radio Shack).

EDIT: remember...this amp needs a bigger fuse than a Liverpool due to the tube rectifier.
angelodp

layout

Post by angelodp »

Ron, not sure what's up, the current layout seems to have lost some resolution and getting a bit mushy? If its not too much trouble, its great to have a crisp hi-res graphic to work with. Perhaps as you and dr have been correcting this it has been loosing some resolution??

best ange
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Ron Worley wrote:Are you saying the the fuse should go on the upper AC wire???
A schematics's worth a thousand pictures....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zippy

Provenance, please

Post by Zippy »

Just so we can keep the facts straight on where this amp sits in the history of Trainwreck amps, could you please supply a gut shot and the name of the amp that you are documenting?

I am especially curious to see the gut shot of the power supply since none has been previously observed for a Rocket. Until now, we have only supposed it similar to a Liverpool.

Tube complement?

Voltages?