Rocket Documents

Trainwreck schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dave_b

Re: Rocket Documents

Post by dave_b »

Ron Worley wrote:Obviously, it's electrically immaterial, but I will check it out and correct if it's backward..... it very likely that you are right!!
Ultimately, my best contributions tend to be immaterial. :D
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Nah, I'm just anal enough to make the change!!!
Ron
fayser

Perhas a dumb question.??

Post by fayser »

Guys... new to the forum here but I was wondering if it possible to just remove two of the El84s from the circuit... would to do this require one to change all the rest of the circuit due to voltage shifts etc?
Thought this might give one a lower wattage amp?
Thanks
Tony
eddie25

Post by eddie25 »

Seems like the labeling of V5 and V6 should be switched around in the schematic. As it is, one side of the OT primary goes to V4 and V6, and the other side goes to V5 and V7.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

It can be (and has been) done either way: V4&5, and V6&7 together or 4&6, 5&7 respectively
Ron
amplifiednation

C4 Cap

Post by amplifiednation »

the optional C4 cap, which i believe to be a cathode bypass cap for V2, is said to "increase gain"??? would it just go in parallel with R7?
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Precisely! It is a cathode bypass cap and would go in parallel with R7. It allows AC coming through the tube to pass to ground. Thus, not allowing it to mess with with bias of the tube (e.g., cutting off too soon).

Do note that polarity is important if using electrolytics in this spot. + end goes toward the tube. - end to ground.

Cathode bypass caps also represent an excellent tone shaping tool. Higher values produce a more low end rich tone. Lower values the opposite.

Cheers,
Dave O.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Put that cap on a switch because you're not going to always want that much gain if you know what I mean.

I usually add a 10uf and 22-25uf on a switch: down 10uf, center off, and up 25uf boost.

Actually even as low as 2uf can really add some nice gain. Make that a 3 way switch for some nice flexibility.

Add another switch for the V1a bypass cap for .68 low and standard 25uf for high tone switching.

Mark
angelodp

footswitch

Post by angelodp »

Or do a foot-switch.

A
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Or do a foot switch, yes that is a nice option Ange. :)
angelodp

floor

Post by angelodp »

Yah, boost on the floor.... yeha!
amplifiednation

M Fowler wrote:Put that cap on a switch because you're not going to always want that much gain if you know what I mean.

I usually add a 10uf and 22-25uf on a switch: down 10uf, center off, and up 25uf boost.

Actually even as low as 2uf can really add some nice gain. Make that a 3 way switch for some nice flexibility.

Add another switch for the V1a bypass cap for .68 low and standard 25uf for high tone switching.

Mark
I love it. I am going to mini toggle the hell out of my rocket
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
amplifiednation

M Fowler wrote:Put that cap on a switch because you're not going to always want that much gain if you know what I mean.

Mark
Mark I dont fully understand the high tone switching. Brite switch?
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
hunoz

Corrections not reflected in down-loadable files

Post by hunoz »

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. Just wondering why it is that the down-loadable files do not reflect the corrections for the errors you already identified?

Andy
Zippy

Re: Perhas a dumb question.??

Post by Zippy »

fayser wrote:Guys... new to the forum here but I was wondering if it possible to just remove two of the El84s from the circuit... would to do this require one to change all the rest of the circuit due to voltage shifts etc?
Thought this might give one a lower wattage amp?
Thanks
Tony
Most just call that a half-power mod - some do it by separating the cathode bias resistors and lifting the ground connection on one pair. True, it will make a subtle difference in voltages - up to you if it matters.

You could make a half power (18 watter) or 30 watter with a switch - if the former, you won't have the "correct" trannie set (since Ken never did it that way).