Rocket Documents

Trainwreck schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Rocket Documents

Post by M Fowler »

Andy,

I believe Ron Worley has already corrected all problems so the layouts and schematic up now should be correct.

Mark
hunoz

Post by hunoz »

M Fowler wrote:Andy,

I believe Ron Worley has already corrected all problems so the layouts and schematic up now should be correct.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the files (layout, schematic, etc) from the first post of this thread. I have just checked (layout only) again and it is still not reflecting the errors reported in subsequent posts nor it reflects the legend of updates as listed in the first post.

Am I supposed to find the correct files to download from some other place?

Andy
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Andy I need to figure out what errors your talking about and get back to you, I sure we can work this out.
hunoz

Post by hunoz »

Mark,

I appreciate your efforts and hope the following will make it easier for you to check....

The following few omissions are easy to see in the layout, but there could be others:

1) the bass pot is not grounded, see schematic/2nd post of angelodp on page 1

2) R31 and R32 are missing all together, see schematic (part of power supply)/3rd post of angelodp on page 2 (It is a pity that there are no post numbers so I would be able to quote them.)

3) R31 and R32 are also missing from the part number listing on the bottom left of layout

BOM states 23 Nov 2009 Schematic states 6/05/2008

I would need to go through the BOM and Schematic and try to verify all changes. They may very well be correct, but I have no way of knowing!

"EDIT: Updated version uploaded with corrections on the Bass pot 11 June 08
EDIT: Layout updated with corrected rectifier pin numbers 12 June 08
EDIT: Schematic updated, removed extra fuse on 120VAC supply 13 June 08"

These three EDIT dates are later than 6/5/08 and would indicate that not all changes are updated!!! at least not for the schematic,

Also, in the very first post on page 1 not all EDIT statements have dates. In addition some of the "EDIT" statements are not in increasing date order! How one knows what is updated or what is not updated in the files?

I appreciate all the info here and I am not critical about the information. I am just trying to verify what info I can use and trust and what info I need to thoroughly check before using/building! The couple of omissions were easy to spot and hence I thought I should ask whether I am downloading the correct files.

Andy
angelodp

correction

Post by angelodp »

1) on the Worley layout - the Bass pot does show it is grounded

2) R31 & R32 on that graphic were from a very early version and later dropped.

Sorry for the confusion.

hunoz wrote:Mark,

I appreciate your efforts and hope the following will make it easier for you to check....

The following few omissions are easy to see in the layout, but there could be others:

1) the bass pot is not grounded, see schematic/2nd post of angelodp on page 1

2) R31 and R32 are missing all together, see schematic (part of power supply)/3rd post of angelodp on page 2 (It is a pity that there are no post numbers so I would be able to quote them.)

3) R31 and R32 are also missing from the part number listing on the bottom left of layout

BOM states 23 Nov 2009 Schematic states 6/05/2008

I would need to go through the BOM and Schematic and try to verify all changes. They may very well be correct, but I have no way of knowing!

"EDIT: Updated version uploaded with corrections on the Bass pot 11 June 08
EDIT: Layout updated with corrected rectifier pin numbers 12 June 08
EDIT: Schematic updated, removed extra fuse on 120VAC supply 13 June 08"

These three EDIT dates are later than 6/5/08 and would indicate that not all changes are updated!!! at least not for the schematic,

Also, in the very first post on page 1 not all EDIT statements have dates. In addition some of the "EDIT" statements are not in increasing date order! How one knows what is updated or what is not updated in the files?

I appreciate all the info here and I am not critical about the information. I am just trying to verify what info I can use and trust and what info I need to thoroughly check before using/building! The couple of omissions were easy to spot and hence I thought I should ask whether I am downloading the correct files.

Andy
hunoz

Post by hunoz »

Hi Angelo,

Thank you for your reply. We disagree on the BASS pot being grounded in the layout. It is at least true from where I downloaded the layout file from. I sent you a pm with more info. I may be downloading the files from the wrong place (page 1 first post - YES / NO ???) as I mentioned previously.

I hope we can clear this up.

Andy
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

In the layout posted at the beginning of this thread I see a green wire from the right-most lug of the bass pot going to the buss bar...
hunoz

Post by hunoz »

Thank you Martin.

The green wire is indeed there I can see it on the colour screen, but it does not show up in black and white laser print!

The grounding wire was drawn right on the line of the edge of the bass pot. As such the two different lines becomes one black line in the print.

Personally I believe Angelo's grounding method would have been preferable as it is clearly visible on black and white print of the layout too!

Anyway, thank you for bringing this to my attention because I could not see it to save my life! Maybe I just need to get new glasses and to buy a good colour printer! :)

Andy
hunoz

Post by hunoz »

I now had another look of the layout and schematic both in colour!

The layout shows 130V MOV and pilot lamp across a double point double throw power ON/OFF switch.

The schematic shows single throw power ON/OFF switch and there is no sign of the MOV nor the pilot lamp.

R31 and R32 are in the schematic, but not on the layout. As Angelo pointed it out they were dropped at some point.

None of these are big deal, but they are differences. Before I decide to build I will check things thoroughly.

Thanks guys.

Andy
angelodp

Optional

Post by angelodp »

R31 & R32 are optional bleeder resistors.

Cheers A
Mr Wright

Post by Mr Wright »

I think R9 is missing from the BOM.
The value is listed on the layout though.

Side note:
Thank you guys all so much for making this stuff available!

(but curse you all as well for getting me hooked on this expensive habit!)
rooster

Post by rooster »

Note, the schematic shows a 15H 25mA choke in place and the one typically used (Hammond part #158L) is actually 15H 75mA. Eh, just sayin. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

My perception is that in our application, the resistance of a choke is as significant as its inductance.
The Hammond 158L is listed as 411 ohms, but it may be that a choke of the same inductance but with a lower current rating has a higher resistance, due to the use of thinner wire.
eg other 15H Hammond chokes 155J is rated at 30mA 1026 ohms, the 159M at 100mA is 256 ohms.
So, what was the resistance of chokes used in the original Rockets?
As this will have a significant effect on screen grid sag.
rp

Post by rp »

I never knew this wasn't settled. I agree this would matter, not always but often I can hear when I play around w/ g2. Hopefully someone knows the answer. I have a Rocket planned with a 158L, could be worse, chokes are pretty cheap.

Lots of Rocket clones will have to be reassessed if the 158L is wrong and there's a fair difference in resistance.

What were the AC30 chokes for H and R?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

rp wrote:What were the AC30 chokes for H and R?
20H and 460R